GWS F15

Alastair Place

Hello i'm wondering if anyone hear has built the GWS F15?

I have got to the point now where i just need to attach the all-flying stabilizer but i'm unable to find a screw  to attach them. I have installed park servos and was going to use the one that came with the servo to attach the control arm. But it is too short. I check the insturction manual for parts listing to see if i comes with the kit. They are listed as a 2.3mm x 8mm with some letters after it, i can't remember what they are off the top of my head. i have checked all the parts that came with the kit and there is nothing there at i can use.

I have going throught all my spares and bits and peices but am unable to find something that fits it is either two wide, two long or two short.

So to my question is has anybody built one using park servos and the all-flying stabilizer if so what did you use to attach it to the servo?

Many thanks and any help would be appreciated 

Al

Advert

I went back to it last night after i had been out flying  my GP Corsair and Ripmax spit, was very lucky that i had a break in the weather and came accross some screws that were just a bit too long so i cut it down and all is good now.

Well almost there now just a few more things to do to finish it off, so i thought i would post a photo, Ok i know the garage is a mess but it's work in progress

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r269/al4motion/Planes/Photo-0014.jpg

Al

Hi Rick will do i hope to get it finished this weekend

Thanks David no i have not seen that but i will have a look now .

I'm going to try and build a dolly for this as my last effort at hand launching a EDF well lets just say it did not quite go to plan.

The filed i fly from has quite short grass but it is a bumpy in places so not sure how well it would work, but there is only on way to find ! 

Al

David

I read the review and now i'm thinking that i might use a bit a caution on the first flight to see where im at. my came with the 4600kv motors, i'll post a flight report it the wind ever lest up!

anyway i have finished it to the point where it is ready to fly so this is what it look like now, it might not look quite the same after the maiden flight.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r269/al4motion/Planes/Kodak001.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r269/al4motion/Planes/Kodak002.jpg

Al

• 1 month later...

Ok I thought that it was about time that I put up a flight report for the GWS 15.

Attempt No 1 did not quite go to plan, I got a friend to give it a hand launch and after a few practice throws he felt happy to give it a go. Well it did go… straight into the ground! And snapped the front part of the fuzz off right before the air intakes. So back home I went and out came the epoxy. 1 hour later all fixed and tested ready for attempt number 2, I did recheck the CofG and found that I had to now add a ¼ oz of weight to the back but I had missed the opportunity by this time so it had to wait for another day. 

Attempt No 2 This went allot better, the wind was down to a gentle breeze and there was blue sky, so I roped in my dad this time so off to the filed we went. Got set up double checked everything twice! I took two packs with me I was intending to use, they where 3s Flight Power 2500mah 20C. I found that these fitted really nicely into the battery compartment, Switched on and was ready to go, my dad took a couple of steps and gave it a good heave and away it went. It did sink a little after it first went air bourn so I let it climb out and after about 20ft it reach flying speed. I got the plane about 3 mistakes high and with two clicks of right it was tracking straight, I did a few circuits of the filed to get a feel for it, you do have to keep the speed up in turns as it does tend to drop its nose.

I tested the roll rate it was a little slow but I was surprised the I did not have to put much input in to it keep it from corkscrewing, did a few more circuits and a few low passes, now it is no speed demon but a low pass at WOT looked good . So I decided that I would try a loop, it would not loop from level flight and I had to put it into a slight dive to pick up speed for it to get all the way over. 

After about 5 minutes of flight I decided to bring it in I was going to do a test landing but since you can slow the plane right down and with a bit of flair it just landed with no issues.

All in all I was very impressed with the way this model fly’s and I was a lot easier than I had thought and as this was my first EDF I was more than pleased. But as other people have said this is not a beginners plane but anyone with some low wing experience should be comfortable with this.

Mine has the blue 4600kv GWS motors in and if I was going to do it again I think I would change these so I could run it on 4 cells to give it a bit more turn of speed.

Took the F-15 out again last night and all is not well.

I have built a bungee but could not get it to work, needs a bit of fine tuning, so it was back to the hand launch unfortunately it did not go too well.

The field I fly from has a wire fence running around one half but it is lower than where we launch from (you can probably guess where this is going) and because of the wind direction we had to launch in the direction, Well after the hand launch the model sinks a bit before it get up to flying speed yep you guessed it. It sank and clipped the top of the fence,

I tried to pull the nose up a bit just to clear it and the nose did but the bottom the of right air intake scarped along the top of the fence and because I’m using the all-flying stabilizer and I had pulled back on the elevator the leading edge of the right stabilizer caught the fence.

The result was the stabilizer and servo where ripped out of the plane and the gears where stripped in the servo. Now it does not sound too bad but I know have to find away to cut the right side of the fuzz open the get to the servo ext cable with out causing too much damage.

I really do like this model but I wish that I had come up with a better way a joining the too fuzz half’s together so I can be repaired or upgraded. 

• 5 weeks later...

Mine is ready to fly this weekend, I joined it using silicon rubber, I used this on my Kamdax Mig 15 and had to open to replace  the fan after ingesting FOD and it worked really well as you can slice through the silicon without damaging the foam much.

As a matter of interest, another club member has one and has twice stripped park servo gears on the tailerons, so I invested in two digital servos with metal gears from GiantCod at the exorbitant price of just over £7... yes  £7 how do they do it! but I am still a bit unsure of the mounting screws, they seem a bit short, I may get one of my mechanical mates to tap out the drive gear and use a meatier screw.

Hello Neil

Yep strip servos, after i fixed it from my little excursion with the fence, I deided that the the only way to get this off the ground was to bungee it, and after a few tests last weekend and another stripped servo i decided to turn the all-flying stabilizer round. 

Now i have got the bungee working sucsesfully and no more stripped servos. i'm really starting to like this plane

If your intrested in turning the all-flying stabilizer around i can try and get some piccies for you 

Good luck with the maiden

Al