Robart precision fitting - recessed control surfaces

Stevo

Darn and blast !!!

Lots of experimentation (particularly with Braddock VC's Tigre) with Robarts and recessed control surfaces. When drilling, the bit will go where it wants to, and NOT where you want it to.

So, how to align them up? Get them central?

Drill as best you can, as accurate as you can. Use a drill that is a snug fit for the hinges, NOT tight. This will allow them to be taken in and out as work progresses.

If they work, well done, but you will always find one or two out of aligment. How do you move that hole?

Make sure you know which way you want to move it - mark with a pencil. Spritz some CA activator in the hole, and cut a sliver of 0.5mm balsa around 25mm long. Get some CA on it, and insert it into the hole, along the side you have marked out, pressing in place with a cocktail stick or similar. Wait until it sets; then using a needle file, tease out the other side of the hole.

Lo and behold.. the hole has 'moved' by 0.5mm Test fit the hinge again, repeat the above if it still needs it.

Though I'd share on here, rather than bury in my Stuka thread.

Advert

Best to use Gorilla glue or other similar foaming glues for fitting pin hinges (Robart type). The hole doesn't need to be a tight fit as the glue expands to fill the void. Never had a Gorilla glued pin hinge come out! Getting them aligned both in the vertical and horizontal is vital smooth movement. If you glue the hinges into either the fixed or moving surface first and then check alignment you can correct by cutting the offending hinge, re drilling and re-fixing. Once one lot are fixed then offer up the other surface and when satisfied, apply the Gorilla glue - sparingly!

I have the Robert pin hinge drill jig. Simple and excellent. I draw a pencil line across the hinge then set the jig to work. Never had a duff one yet. Also use petroleum jelly....( Vaseline to you and me) ONLY on the pivot. It stops the epoxy sticking to everything.

Posted by cymaz on 30/08/2017 23:00:10:

I have the Robert pin hinge drill jig. Simple and excellent. I draw a pencil line across the hinge then set the jig to work. Never had a duff one yet. Also use petroleum jelly....( Vaseline to you and me) ONLY on the pivot. It stops the epoxy sticking to everything.

thumbs up yep, use the robart jig to get a precise hole every time