A Bodgers Solution to New?Damaged Cowls

Stuphedd

bits bw cowl 021 (small).jpgbits bw cowl 017 (small).jpgbits bw cowl 013 (small).jpgbits bw cowl 015 (small).jpgI have seen many questions on "How To" appertaining to cowls and canopies.

I refurbish many planes and end up making or repairing the above , so This is a very crude demo of roughly what I do ,

I started last night and did a bit this afternoon so its a bit rushed with little finess but it should show the idea ,

I have been rebuilding a very old , "old timer " which had a severe attack of wood worm , the cowl had been lost years ago so I mocked one up out of cardboard .

The procedure,

Make a rough item of what you want to make ,

get a plant pot or container big enough to house the item and pack wet sand round it

Move it about a bit and remove the "item" leaving a female mould

mix some very sloppy plaster and carefully fill the mould

let dry overnight

take out the plaster cast and carve it to the required shape , It carves dead easy "

When its ok and fits the model , Put it in a bottle and heat shrink/

Job done ,

I only had one bottle left so its a bit "rough " have to wait for the kids to come for replenishments !

I have used this sand method for repairing large cowls by making a mould with whats left of the original and carving the missing bit out of plaster , its very cheap , and fibreglassing a repair .bits bw cowl 013 (small).jpg