Durafly Vampire

Advert

My Vampire came with a separate UBEC and ESC. The U BEC unit failed when I was setting the model up pre-flight (lucky) so I fitted another 5A 6V unit.https://www.modelhelicopters.co.uk/etronix-li-po-regulator-5a-6v-hard-cased-20x14x49mm.html Can't see any reason why you can't fit a standard combi ESC/BEC unit providing it meets the specifications of the original units i.e 45A capable of running a 4S Lipo with ideally a 5A BEC (I think the original was 3A UBEC)

Edited By Cuban8 on 11/09/2017 12:01:40

• 4 weeks later...

I have just put together a Mk6 and thought I would share my findings. I used 8mm x .5 carbon to strengthen booms and although this adds minimal weight. I have had to abandon the battery strap as my c of g requires the 4 cell 2200mm(recommended) to pushed hard into the nose secured with Velcro and foam packing. The flying however although short at 4 minutes is brilliant. I have a 4000 4 cell pack and I will try it, but expect the model will loose its feel and probably not fly for much longer. Hope this helps.

I flew mine without the landing gear as I fly from a slope with long grass it was not needed. Without the nose wheel providing nose weight I found I needed lead in the nose as the 2200Ah LiPo was not enough, even with it pushed fully forward. Instead I fitted a 3300Ah Lipo as a bigger battery was better than lead! The extra capacity not only gave a longer flight time but more grunt too (less voltage drop under load presumably). It has a great glide, fairly fast and flat or at least better than expected.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 07/10/2017 08:37:22

I use a 3300 battery too and like Piers find that it improves flight performace and time, it does need to be slightly further forward though. I have also strengthened the booms with carbon fibre

I beleive the recent models have had the thrust line corrected but anyway I dealt with the problem with mine by mixing throttle to elevator. It took some trial and error it is now quite seemless. The main gains are consistent pitch at all throttle levels and less floaty landing which was a problem if there was breeze.