2013 Taranis

PeD

I've been trying to update (if possible) a Taranis 9D ACCST from 2013. The firmware is x9d- V1.1.02.

Now i'm not sure whether there is "OpenTX" on it or the original Frsky OpenTx.

I have tried updating the internal XTL to the Eu LBT firmware. It would appear that this has been successful however the Rx X8R does not seem too now see the Tx even if a rebind has been tried.

Does the Rx now need updating to Eu LBT firmware? I have tried but the programme in the "Sport" update whilst seeing the Tx does not see the Rx.

Does the V1.1.02 firmware also need updating for this to take place. Finally "Bootloader" is this only available on newer versions as i also cannot get into it.

Using an iMac but not Companion.

Advert

V1.1.02 is the original FrSky version of openTx, and it doesn't include the bootloader.

The only way to update the firmware is to connect the radio to a PC using USB (with the radio off), then use a DFU program to flash new firmware. I don't think there is a DFU available for the MAC unfortunately.

If you can get either openTx or ersky9x flashed once, you should then have the bootloader that will make things easier.

Mike.

Thank you for the replies. I must add the initial upgrade of the internal Xlt was done via a PC using the Frsky SPC and also tried the STK on updating the Rx. All kept getting the msg. "device not found" on connecting the Rx even though i had gone through the virtual same process with the Tx. I had the "Sport.exe" running and file in place and lastly connected the Rx to the Spc or STK but would still not connect.

I had thought it may be better to download and run Companion for Mac and do all the updates via "boot loader" which i have now found out thanks to Mike Blindfold is only available if OpenTx is installed on the Taranis.

I have been advised "correctly or incorrectly" that if OpenTx is installed only model builds and changes within a models parameters can be done via Companion? If this is true does a laptop "down the field" be required at all times? If that is so it seems to defeat the reason for changing to a Taranis system OpenTx.

No, both open source firmware (openTx and ersky9x) have full support for editing models on the radio, you don't actually need a PC at all, except for flashing new firmware. Even then, the bootloader allows for flashing from a file on the SD card.

When trying to flash the Rx, make sure you are using the Smart Port and not the SBUS port. I find the "best" way for connecting the Rx is to only connect ground and SPort signal, and power the Rx from a separate battery connected by a switch. Get to the "finding device" stage, then switch the Rx on.

Mike.

"'I have been advised "correctly or incorrectly" that if OpenTx is installed only model builds and changes within a model parameters can be done via Companion? If this is true does a laptop "down the field" be required at all times? If that is so it seems to defeat the reason for changing to a Taranis system OpenTx.'

Hi PeD

Whilst you will still be able to edit your models on the Taranis, keeping your current model details and upgrading them through the major OpenTx versions to latest 2.2 is the tricky bit.

From what you say, I guess you have no backup of the model details on your Mac. Without the current models, one can go straight into version 2.2, but somehow one has to take model details through the major versions, to upgrade for each set of changes in the the format they are stored in. With an existing backup file, one can run that through each of the versions of Companion. You could try the latest just to see. I've just confirmed that it is happy converting a 2.0 models file to a 2.2, so can skip 2.1. Installing Companion 2.2 on the Mac and communicating with the Taranis is probably easier than installing an older version.

So did you succeed with your PC based boot module update on the Taranis? What version do you have on the Taranis VERSION screen?

For Mac specific install questions, you probably need to try RCGroups forum I would think, as there will be many more Mac users there. Wading through the mass of existing details can be challenging, despite the usual search facility. “Taranis How To” is as good a thread for your questions as any.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1914834-FRSKY-Taranis-How-to-Thread&highlight=taranis%20howto

Ray

Well light at the end of the tunnel. With a colleagues assistance,PC and his daughter providing much needed tea. We have a result.

The method as suggested by Mike Blandford was used ie: a separate switched battery supply with the Rx connected to the SPC and provided we had downloaded the correct Rx firmware the Rx's updated every time. Binding too the Tx every time.

The updating of the Taranis to an OpenTx will be be looked into in the darker days and nights to come. Lets not put all eggs in one basket yet. The rain may stop soon and we may get out too fly. At least all is back working.

Thank you all again for your help and links.

Unfortunately a lot of the links on all forums are not linking to Frsky's new layout so a lot of 404 errors are now cropping up.

Regards