Unable to retain settings for temperature sensors

Allan Bennett

A short while ago I posted a thread about the possibility of using 3rd-part sensors with my FrSky RPM & Temperature Sensor telemetry unit. Well, I've just received some minute glass-bead 100k thermistors from RS Components, and they seem to be working correctly.

What I can't do is configure my Taranis to remember the settings: When I go into the transmitter's Telemetry menu, and go down to Discover New Sensors, it detects Tmp1 and Tmp2 sensors at varying positions -- sometimes position 7 and 10, and sometimes 10 and 11. There's also default Tmp1 and Tmp2 at positions 1 and 2, and to get the telemetry to work with my Taranis I have to copy the sensor locations from Tmp1 and Tmp2 at positions 7 or 11, and 10, into Tmp1 and Tmp2 at positions 1 and 2. When I do that, I can get my Taranis to announce the temperatures at 5-second intervals, and the FrSky sensor and the RS Components sensor both seem to be recording the same numbers.

BUT, if I switch off my trannie, the settings are lost! I've saved the data from the trannie into OpenTX Companion on my laptop, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. What steps should I be taking to retain the settings, please?

Advert

Fingers crossed; I think I've sorted it!

Today I went into my trannie's telemetry menu and selected the Delete all sensors option. Then, after rebooting, I selected Discover new sensors, and it placed Tmp1 in position 1, RPM in position 2, and Tmp2 in position 3, with no other sensors listed (there were previously several listed by default). But the system was still confused because for Tmp2 it was announcing an RPM reading in the region of 6000rpm instead of temperature.

So once again I deleted all sensors, and then went to the Add a new sensor option, and added Tmp1 using the i.d. I'd previously noted when it auto-added it. That then got Tmp1 into position 1 in the sensor list, and repeating it for Tmp2 got it into position 2, with no other sensors listed. And those settings have so far been retained even after I've rebooted the trannie and receiver maybe half a dozen times now.

My conclusion is that the Discover new sensors function is dodgy. Has anyone else had this problem? Why did it not work yesterday when it had Tmp1 and Tmp2 further down the list, after some non-existent sensors that were in the list by default?