Apm 2.8

benjamin craft

I have a​n apm 2.8 on a 500mm alien platorm quad. When it is sitting still, the mission planner shows that it is moving. I flew it yesterday and true to use loiter... The quad took off to the right and started flying off. When I went bad to stabilize, I was able to regain control and fly it bad. Any suggestions?

Hi Benjamin,

Welcome to the forum!

I suspect that it is simply a case that the GPS hasn't had long enough to acquire a good fix. If you're hooked up to MP indoors when setting up, there's less chance of getting a good GPS fix anyway. Loiter mode requires a fix to maintain position - that's why it was flying away. Once you were back in Stab mode, it was only going to go where you directed it.

APM tends to be a bit slow to get a good fix - it can take five minutes or more. I've moved on to Pixhawk now and that is quicker all round.

What I would suggest is that, in MP, you programme the FC so that it will not allow you to arm until it has acquired sufficient sats for a good fix. That will ensure that you cannot take off too soon.

Make sure you set the failsafe settings to RTL, too - that will also need a good fix, of course.

Pete