Instructors

Andy Harris

I belong to two clubs.

A local one where I rarely see anyone else at the field and a club 30 miles away.

The distant club is a bit 'stealth' in that you wouldn't know it was there, no website so signs, but its membership is packed with instructors, examiners and one area examiner.

These chaps turn up for an evenings flying with their turbo-nutter class planes and seem to barely get a flight in.

If they are not training they are test flying for other members. What we beginners sometimes don't appreciate is that we arrive with models that fly like 'a sack of ferrets' (club expression - have no idea where it comes from).

I've seen bits fall off and instructors still land models in 1(-1) piece.

Instruction doesn't finish at the 'A' cert, us beginners become intermediates and start a whole new set of training and advice needs.

Perhaps the only issue is the standards they set and how these transfer to club flying. A low inverted pass has to be low enough to see grass clippings (its a cricket field to thats fairly low). Prop hanging is accompanied by a little tail dragging.  The youngsters aspire to what their instructors do with obvious consequences!

I know from talk around the bar that they'd like to do a bit more flying of their own especially when a show is coming up.  I believe that training becomes a bit boring as the student progresses, since its 20 mins of holding the trainer button down.

So they have my respect for what they do and how it keeps model flying vibrant - cheers to instructors.

Andy 

Advert

• 2 weeks later...