re skinning artf's

nigel chandler 1

First of all, hi to all.

My question is to anyone out there, thoughts to re skinning ARTF's

the best way to do it & peoples experiences, if it can be done?

personally im looking forward to my first Warbird in early 2018, & the aircraft im looking at its colour scheme is awful. so would at some point like to change.

All help & thoughts about this particular subject would be very much appreciated

Cheers Nige Chandler

Advert

IMHO I am with Phil, paint over existing.

If you recover its likely you'll need to remove control surfaces, cowls, covers etc. A lot of extra work in my book as it will still be a ARTF model in the end!

One thing worth bearing in mind is visibility, or lack of it! If new to warbirds you might have your work cut out with the new flying characteristics plus gear, flaps etc and the last thing you'll need something where the camouflage really works well!

My vote would be to buy/finish and fly, then at a later date give it paint job. If all does not go to plan you can change the colour while repairing it after a more serious incident!

I really don't like invasion stripes, but sometimes its only the bit that I can see clearly (lesson learnt flying in poor autumn light & getting dark!)

Hi Nigel

I reworked a brand new Blackhorse FW190 recently. I stripped off all the covering, re-hinged everything properly, new retract bearers and decent retracts, full glass and resin finish with panel lines etc. It took me the best part of 12 months on and off, it was worth it but took as much work as building one from a plan.

image122.jpgimage114.jpg