Mystery Slope Soarer / Power Glider

I thought today I would start work on another crashed / repairable fun fly plane I was given a few years ago, but my wife had other ideas and dragged me around the West Wickham Charity shops plus others. Having suffered the experience for about an hour we were in an Oxfam shop where contained in a large box was a delta slope soarer kit for £7.00. Although my wife threatened divorce on the spot I paid the £7.00 and took the kit home without opening the box. Once home and having inspected the contents of the box, it seems I have bought a 6ft span almost ready made plane called 'Esprit' that can be powered with an electric motor and looks very much like a Wildthing.60. The manufacturers are listed as K&K Wooden Toys Moravia, S.R.O, 683 01 Drazovice 186 CZ.

Anyone know this plane, so far I have not found anything on the internet but I must look at their website given as http //www.woodentoys-kk.cz ?

pb270207.jpg

pb270206.jpg

Advert

Yes we think our cat spent the night sleeping on the box as he was still on it first thing this morning. As for the plane it remains a mystery having investigated the company web site. However I might get a Czech friend involved to translate some of the information before she goes to Prague for Christmas ?

I had another glance at the plane this morning and everything needed is within the kit apart from servos and motor etc. As the recommended motor is a brushed Speed 600 I can only assume its very old stock as these days most kits recommend brush-less motors. However as there is a company website and E-mail address the kit cannot be more than 20 years old ?. The first construction task would appear to be fit the wing servos and cabling prior to fixing the wings together. I would assume that the ABS plastic fuselage somehow fixes to the wings but needs to be removable to access any Lipo or NIMH flight batteries unlike the Wildthing 60 that has a battery hatch. So I must get either a Speed 600 motor or equivalent brush less motor whatever that might be ?.

What a bargain! Worth the threat of a divorce, I'm sure! laugh

I would aim for 350/400 watts on a 3S LiPo (30ish amps) and I'm sure it will fly great on that. In view of the tight fitting for the motor, I'd have a look at the HobbyKing Glider Drive motors. They're outrunners but totally enclosed and with connectors on the back rather than wire outputs. They're ideal for pushing into the narrow nose of a glider but a tricky to line up the screw holes in the back of the firewall. I find using the longest screws I have and using them to pull the motor into position before final fitting with shorter ones.

Geoff

I think it will be totally transformed with a modern power setup. You could try George Worley of 4 Max and ask him what he recommends, might be a good place to start at any rate. Perhaps someone on the forum could suggest a suitable motor etc.

So 6ft span and 1.7kg all up weight. I expect you could improve on that quite considerably with modern electrics.