F16

Michael Howell

Advert

Here are a few tips i learned in this build wich may be helpfull.

1. I used 1mm-2mm mylar for the intake and exhaust ducts. i used carbon rods and tape to strenghthen and glued to the planes formers. if done carefully it will not callapse

2. If you are going to paint be carefull it adds weight very quickly in the mark 2 i will be trying another method of covering.

3. I used a 2w 20 typhoon with 60amp esc and wemotec 480 fan. i used 100%fsa for intake and used a 60mm diameter exhaust even with a long exhaust and intake produced around 40 ounces thrust [ APPROX]

4. If you are making a hand launch with this system i would suggest keeping the plane at 40 ounces or below. Or you could do the hover test. hold the plane upright ,if it hovers or starts to climb then you will be okay with a hand launch. as a rough guide.

these may or may not be helpfull

Will start a new thread soon , i have designed and built a jet called the bullet , it has had its first test flight and looks promising , hand launching no problem so if you are after something you can put in the back of your car ,cheap to build and fast then this might be for  you.

Bullet

2w/2w 20 motor
wemotec 480 fan
34 ounces

Good tips, on my F20 I used CA spread over the mylar and this really stiffeness the ducting up and no sign of getting sucked into the fan! Problem is removing the fan!! What I have done now is used plastic for laminating " heavy duty type", and lightly glassed it and it works a treat plus easy to get the original shape of the ducting!

i do like your F16, can you build me one because my attempt would not be that good lol!!

Look forward to Mark2, didnt think the dolly would be good on grass, handlaunch all the way IMO, i like to hand launch all my models, bonus of being a good cricketer I have a decent arm and prefer to launch myself, only one person to blame then??

once i have made the inlet tube i lay strong tape around it then glue the inlet tube straight in to a balsa ring then epoxy were the balsa ring meets the mylar the balsa ring is then secured to a former then you have a solid end were you can slide the edf unit in and out if that makes sense. i usualy just tape the exhaust duct to the back of the fan and the other end is then lightly CA to the rear of the fusalage.  the carbon rods run down the fusalage and when the tube is inserted between them and the formers it is all epoxied. like your idea dusty, yes i agree if anyone is going to crash it i would rather it be me.