Sprite build

Olav Sivertsen 2

Hi.Having almost completed the Sprite balsa model published in the Special Issue 2017 RCM&E mag,I think there is a problem with the dimensions of F1 motor bulkhead.Having made it to the size printed on the plan and fitted it to the fuselage I found that when fitting the motor the thrust line appears to be 6 mm below what is indicated on the plan.The photos of the build shows that F1 appears to extend above the fuselage sides but the dimensions on the drawing for F1 prevents that.

However I am questioning what effect the thrust line being below what is shown on the drawing will have on this model. I am reluctant to do major surgery around the nose to correct this problem.

Advert

Reference to my previous post.Problem solved by-making a new F1 bulkhead out of 1/6th ply to the dimensions on the plan side of the fuselage,incorporating the shape of F1a.Re drilled all holes for mounting motor-and glued the new former to the original. Saved chopping off front end etc.Hope this might help if anyone else found this a “problem”!

Hi Tim,Sorry It wasn’t a criticism,just an observation which I thought might help anyone else building this model.I know how difficult it is when trying to put a sketch into a plan,you can check and check again but still miss something.Anyway,it’s almost finished and hope to maiden when this blessed windy weather abates. WIll let you know how it goes.

Best regards,

Olav

• 2 years later...

Hello all,

Just to let you know that i've started building a Sprite too. Here's the beginning. F1 and doublers are missing in the photo, but they are made by now, as well as most of Sprite progress - 2020-09-22 at 17.28.33.jpegthe left wing. So far, only wood from the scrap box has been used!smiley

Servos are sourced and the rest of the electronics were ordered. I'll keep you posted and perhaps the occasional nagging question may show up.

Regards,

Paulo