Slowpoke Sport 40

Andy C

I have been offered the opportunity to purchase an un-built slowpoke sport 40 kit and wondered if there is any current experience with them on here please. It will probably be one of a few third planes that I intend to fly after I have spent time with the WOT 4 foamE. A google search has thrown up a wide range thoughts, although there seems to be a consistent thread that it needs a perfect CofG which requires a lot of nose weight but I do like the looks of it and think it will be great wit a 4 Stroke up front.

Thanks

Advert

I have been building a Great Planes Slowpoke Sport 40 from a kit, but it's not finished yet. It's covered, with Solartex, but needs the radio and engine fitted.

There has been a delay, as I originally built it to take my HP61VT engine, but, as I have recently gravitated towards electric power I have an Axi 4120/14 motor and Jeti 70 Amp ESC to fit.

I don't think that it actually needs a 'perfect CG' but I understand that they have a tendency to turn out nose heavy. I have tried to keep the tail light and with the weight of the batteries and motor well forward, I hope I won't need too much lead.

I also have an Eagle Tree Guardian flight stabiliser to fit, which it might not need, but then I'm not a great pilot.

I bought it because I liked the look of it, an ebay purchase from the USA. It was a very enjoyable build with everything slotting nicely together. The instructions are great, but some of the wood seems a little heavy. However, with it's massive wing area, this should not be an issue.

There is a recognised weakness in the fuselage structure where the solid side panels join the strip structure, just aft of the wing seat. This is easily taken care of with a little doubler over the joint.

I was also unhappy with the wing trailing edge, between the aileron bay and the centre section. It just looked inadequate to me, so I modified and strengthened the structure. I would have photographed these modifications and posted them, but they are under the covering now. When you see the plan, though, I think it will be obvious what is needed.

It's unfortunate that Great Planes have discontinued this model. I have another discontinued Great Planes kit, waiting to be built, an Old Timer 40, which I also bought for it's looks and will build for electric power.

Graham

Thank you Piers. Now that I have seen the plan again I can remember why I was unhappy with the T.E. It was a single skin, over which the end of the ribs extended.

I cut down the ribs, and added an upper T.E skin with a vertical shear web between each rib, forming a triangular section. I don't think that much weight was added, but it certainly is stronger and supports the covering better.

I'll add some photographs when I fetch it from the loft to make some progress, hopefully soon.

Graham