Glow Start

I have bought 2 brand new Glow Starts that are made by Flight Leader. I have charged them both for 19 hours (the recommended time) and they are still stone could were they are ment to be "white" hot. However, the red light on the transformer comes on while charging. Also when I put them on to my engine (a SC25A) the indicator on the top of it indicates green showing that everything is OK and it is fully charged. I have also tried them both on 2 glow plugs (IC). Is it possible to have to faulty glow starts? Please tell me what is wrong.

John.

Advert

I always used to have boughts of glow start problems, until 2 years ago when I invested in one of the RCAT systems glow drivers(see url below). It only needs charging about twice a year and actively controls the current so the plug always glows perfectly -  I have even tried holding the end under water - it still glows - although the current indicator climbs a lot to maintain the heat. I have lost count how many times I have instantly started other peoples engines when they have been fighting for ages with a flooded engine etc etc.  After a while you get used to how many lights come on for a given type of plug, and any change to this gives me the first indication of a plug that is on its way out (particularly on my helis where plugs get a hard life and I really dont want dead sticks).

They arn't cheap, but in my experience are worth every penny in saved time struggling with non starting engines...

http://rcatsystems.com/electronics/ligd.php

Neal.