Looking for a bit of help / advice

winchweight

Chaps, a bit of an odd one here, but I need some advice and perhaps the expats / ex servicemen can give me some guidance. Long story short...

My wife's father, and ex Royal Navy CPO, did a flit 25 years ago without trace. But last year he reappeared in a french hospital, with loss of leg function. This is due to his chronic alcholism and general poor lifestyle. She and her sister rushed out and were shocked to find he lives as a filthy tramp, drinking from dawn to dusk, bellowing and snarling at everyone.

Me I'd have walked away, but credit to them, they've visited a couple of times and tried to sort him out. However, on this last weekend, they revisited him. He was in the same clothes he was last left in, once again unable to walk. His house is covered in filth and dog mess. They are devastated.

In the UK he'd be a contender for Social Services care, but in France what can we do?

I also wondered if SSAFA or any of the Royal Navy veterans charities could help?

Can anyone shed any light on a course of action? He doesn't speak french, doesn't get on with his neighbours and is generally very unpleasant, chasing off anyone who tries to help. He is a desperate case and will probably die over the winter if we can't get him some help.

Thanks guys.

Advert

Hi Shaun, sorry to hear about your father-in-law's problems.  You don't say in what part of France he is and this information is useful for locating the social services office best placed to provide help.  There is, of course, a poweful and active state social service in France.  This is a link to the HQ in the capital:  Social Services Paris  This service may be called upon, as well as numerous benevolent organisations.  Your relations should first approach the Town Hall in the area in which your father-in-law lives and see what can be done through them.  If it is a small commune then they may need the help of an interpreter.   Beyond that,  local religious communities will provide help and advice.

If that is Saint-Gilles-des-Marais then it only has 88 inhabitants and your family will probably need to go into nearby Domfront and seek help in the Marie (Town hall) there which is located in Place Roire.  If he is still in hospital then the first place to ask for help is there, of course.  They probably cannot do much themselves but will be able to explain what to do. 

Sadly he's no longer in the hospital.

This would have help immensely. The St Giles he lives at is just outside St Lo. The Mayor has been involved previously, but we aren't sure how to get his assistance again. We don't have very much french between us either, which doesn't help. I guess I should have tried harder in school.

I will try the french social services, hopefully they may be able to give us some guidance.

Thanks again Lee.

• 2 weeks later...

It might well be worth contacting UK social services.  It is possible that the help he would get in the UK might be available to him in France as a UK citizen, since it sounds like mental illness will be a factor in his case.

Other alternatives might be the British Embassy, or perhaps the citizens advice bureau.

No experience in any of this, but they are places I would start looking for help.

Hope it works out

• 2 months later...

Well, not a huge response really. The NHS don't really want to know (neither do the RN) and the French will only intervene if he asks for their help. So at present he seems to be coping (just about), and we are maintaining the (really expensive) visits whenever school holidays etc allow, to try and keep an eye on him. His brother has said he'll drop over and see him, but as yet he hasn't and to be honest he's buried his head so far in the sand I doubt he ever will. So really it's us and my sister in law, and that it.

Thanks for your concern though,

Shaun (Winchweight)