4,57 M. ASK 18 from RCeurope, maiden

Advert

Posted by Speedster on 30/04/2018 07:57:59:

I had the chance to fly it and it was not bad for a vintage Scala glider

Vintage? How very dare you! cheeky

You know how to make someone feel old - I did my first solo in a K18 and it was nearly new at the time. It was in the same basic colour scheme as your club's model although there were some minor differences in the nose paint and lateral stripe and it carried competition number 174 on its tail.

They were a very good early solo/cross-country glider - the only real problem being the lack of a nose hook which compromised winch launching with a tendency to kite on aerotow if the glider pilot let the aircraft get too high, due to the shared belly hook (just in front of the wheel) position. This did, tragically, lead to fatal or serious consequences for tug pilots on several occasions.  I'm not aware that there was ever a modification to add a nose hook in later years but any departure from scale in this department must be allowed on grounds of practicality! The hole in the nose was for the pitot tube, by the way.

Edited By Martin Harris on 30/04/2018 13:45:18