Tentative return

Advert

Morning all! I've been busy reading and researching. I've just re-read all the posts here and followed all the links. I now have a new workbench, found my local club and they welcome all methods of propulsion! (within walking distance and with the use of a proper runway - so thats a result!), I will build a trainer (or buy s/h), I have my eye on a couple of biplane options, I have a plan for 'Gigi' downloaded from t'internet, I have a new tab in my browser for modelling, bought magazine subscription, poised to join the BMFA, hung my nose over numerous engines on eBay....

Just need to get on with it then! yeslaugh

If you do decide to go down the IC route I would suggest asking around your new clubmates....many flyers are going down the electric route & selling their glow motors so you may pick up a bargain much closer to home than risking the "never raced or rallied" engines that appear on ebay....

Enjoy your new/old hobby....thumbs up

• 3 months later...

Posted by Percy Verance on 03/06/2018 18:30:19:

Hi Andrew

I was interested to note that you may be considering biplane options. Some care may be needed here as not all biplanes are suitable beginner models. One particularly good one, which is very suitable for new builders and flyers is the D B Sport & Scale Tinker. The model is featured in the latest issue of RCM&E as part of Alex Whittaker's regular article. He has gone overboard with the engine though. A Tinker definately doesn't need an OS .25fsr....they'll fly happily on a .15 or a .20.

The Tinker has been updated farly recently Andrew, with the new full kit now available. The *old* version still remains as part of the range offered by DB, although this older one isn't a full kit it's a plan-pack. It is vastly cheaper though.

Edited By Percy Verance on 03/06/2018 18:31:11

Hi Percy,

June seems like such a long time ago... Your post stopped me short and I had a re-think! Still have my bipe plans and due to the path I've taken, they don't seem quite so daunting!

I am busy building. What I've done is:

- bought a second-hand trainer

- bought some s/h radio gear

- bought a kit (which I'm busy building)

- replenished my tool box, including Permagrit investment £££££

- bought far too many engines...several 2s and an OS91FS

- field box and fuel

- bought Aerofly 7 sim for my mac

- joined the BMFA and made enquiries about my local club (but still not been down to the field or flown)

So, having been warned about the difficulties of biplane building, I bought a Sebino Staudacher S300 kit. Complete with sparse Italian instructions and very poor translation into English! I liked the look of it.... I'm coping but theres a lot of head scratching going on!

It's so far from what i've done before. I saw an expression: 'stick and tissue' - think that probably sums up my previous building experience. I'll ask my tech queries in the appropriate forum room.

What I'm most disappointed with is the flight sim. I can take off and land (with varying degrees of elegance) and control the aeroplane whilst I can see it BUT once its flown for more than a few seconds, I can't see it! I don't see how this replicates our hand/eye experience in the real world, but there we are. All the more reason to get out to the field I guess!

Still a newbie

Andrew