Unexplained crash

alex nicol

Hi Denis,

All was checked before hand, I never have servo's on max travel or controll surfaces bottoming out. all I meant was post crash the fuselage was completely wrecked so Impossible to check pushrods binds. tail end control surfaces are free, as are ailerons.

That said, I think it's time for a huge and genuine thanks to all who contributed and draw this thread to a close

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Alex,

Just one more before you go. I'm a newbie on here and as a retired electronics engineer was very interested in your thread. For what it's worth I too would have your problem down the bad servo. As the motor starts to seize it will start to take a lot more current and as it seizes will be like a short across the battery. If there are any connections slightly loose, dirty, or slightly oxidised even, in the power circuit there will be an increasing voltage drop across that connection. This would lead to a reducing voltage being supplied to the receiver. So much so that at some point the receiver would fail to operate. At that point it may be unpredictable as to what the other servos would do.

This also ties in with the time period between switch-on and flying too as the servo would take the same time to heat up from switch-on to hot and seizing. I think your kit is propbably perfectly okay (no guarantees though).

Just my thoughts.

Roger

Edited By Roger Dyke on 23/08/2018 14:47:18

As cheap servos of uncertain provenance are now so ubiquitous, I always plug any new servos into a tester and let them cycle for an hour, checking regularly for overheating.

Not something I ever bothered to do when only the main big name brands were available (but then, neither were servo testers...)