Opentx

trebor

Whats the best thing to do, I have a Taranis over a year old and I had installed Opentx version 2.1.9 onto it through a laptop which has since died and I havent bothered with Companion since. Now I just got an X10 and I need to get Companion back so I can transfer models over from the Taranis to my X10. Which is the best version to get or should I be using 2.1.9 then update to a version that the X10 is running first ?

Ps I should say I have now a fully working computer yes

Edited By trebor on 21/07/2018 09:05:36

Advert

I'd go for 2.2.1 that's the latest full release and it includes support for the X10.

2.2.2 appears to be at it final "Release Candidate" stage and the developers are asking for lots of people to test it and feed back any issues.

You should probably be prepared to upgrade to 2.2.2 once it's released fully but that is very straightforward once you're on OpenTx anyway.

Hi Trebor,

as you know Companion 2.1 versions use the *.eepe" file format while Companion 2.2 moved on to the newer "*.otx" file format.

You can read eepe files into Companion 2.2 - so you will be able to read in all your old Taranis files. You can then save them as otx files, Companion will do the conversion for you. Howerver, there are a couple of points to note:

1. This conversion, whilst very good, is possibly not perfect. You should therefore check all of the models over carefully once loaded onto your X10 to be sure everything, particularly switch allocations etc., is as you intend.

2. You should use a new name for the otx file - if not Companion will overwrite your older Taranis version and you will lose it. I do this by having all my Companion2.1 files in one directory and my Companion2.2 files in another one. This preserves both versions of the file.

3. As far as I know you can't write eepe files from Companion2.2 versons. So any maintenance and backing up of old Taranis eepe files will have to be done from Companion2.1, so really you need both versions on your computer if you want to do that sort of thing.

This seems like some messing about, but I think it is really worth it. I know some people program Taranis and X10 entirely on the Tx (like a conventional system) and don't use Companion. But I really think they are missing an enormously powerful aspect of the system. I do all of my programming entirely via Companion, its worth it for the simulator facility alone in my view! The only thing I do on the Tx is alter parameters - amount of expo or throws etc. - down at the field.

BEB

Here we go, my Love Hate relationship with computer stuff rages out of control again, wheres me hammer angry This keeps popping up after I installed that version of opentx, I have not done anything else honest. 2018-07-21.jpg

If I agree to download it this pops up cryingcryingangryfistangry 2fistdevilteeth

2018-07-21 (1).jpg

Well I got a couple of 16g sd cards, I can start up Companion without any problems so am I ok to connect my Taranis version 2.1.9 to the computer running version 2.2.1 safley and not loose anything before I can work out how to copy / backup model files before updating Taranis to 2.2.1 ?

Edited By trebor on 21/07/2018 17:43:26