Hobbyking BFG 1600

Shaun Walsh

I have a BFG 1600 which I normally fly using the front electric motor, however it was supplied with a plywood hook that fits into the bottom of the fuselage. I was thinking of having a go at bungee launching it (I haven't flown off a bungee since 1977), however the hook looks a bit far forward of the CoG for a good launch.

Has anyone tried this with a BFG 1600? Alternatively how far forward can the hook be and still get a decent launch?

Advert

In the book compiled and edited by Dave Hughes, "Radio Control Soaring", published 1974, it is suggested that the optimum hook position can be determined by taking a line forward 30 degrees from the CG and placing the hook there, on the underside.

In practice it would be difficult to determine the actual CG position, as that would probably be lower than the wing's lower surface (assuming a high wing aircraft) and inside the fuselage, but using the fuselage-side position this would get you pretty close to the mark. It's suggested that if the model weaves and less height is gained then the hook is too far forward and if the model is unstable the hook is too far back.

I used to fly off bungees in the 1980s and used this suggested method of hook-placement and never had any problems. I still have that bungee (home-made reel and all) and this has made me think I might well try a launch or two for old times sake! What could go wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have attached the supplied hook in the position it was designed for (glues onto an internal ply plate) and I would say it's more like 45 degrees from the vertical.

30 degrees from the vertical takes you into the landing wheel well.

Just have to try it and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help.