Silicone Wire Size relative to Volts / Amps / Watts ?

Old Geezer

Posted by Peter Beeney on 07/09/2018 11:12:22:.................

I’ve also soldered a couple of big motors to their ESCs in the past. Same way as I did the flight pack cells. A big flat sided chunk of copper iron heated hotly with a blow torch, then the two well tinned ends held against each side, the iron then slid out and the ends instantly butted against each other. That was about as elegant as I could get and I never had any problems. At least, not with that arrangement anyway.

Unlikely to do it again though, connectors are much easier…

PB

I still do solder some high current motors direct to the ESC to remove the resistance of the connectors and remove a possible point of failure - see pic attached. (the small red wire is for an rpm sensor, and battery connectors are 6mm LMT type)

The U shape in the ESC wires makes a compact installtion and allows for movement. I bind the two wires together with a few turns enamelled copper wire before soldering. The solder doesn't stick to the enamel so the binding wires can be removed after soldering allowing easy un-soldering if and when needed.

Dick

motor connections vs.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Advert