Hello from the Cotswolds

Dave Cooper 3

Hi All, New to this forum which seems very comprehensive indeed. My background is Fleet Air Arm (Hunters and Gannets), Electronics (analogue, digital and RF) and IT (including a spell at Airbus - A350).

After early modelling with the usual free-flight and control-line, I dabbled with rallying and circuit racing (Formula 3). Now, in retirement, I have dug out my old "Wildthing" slope soarer, converted a KK "Achilles" to electric and RC, and have recently updated an old Cambria "Capstan" (balsa) to ailerons.

On the building board next is a 1937 Spalinger S18 III, 3 metre scale soarer. Gradually getting my flying skills together with the help of my clubmates at SCSA (based near Stroud in Gloucestershire). I also fly full-size at Nympsfield, mainly K8's and Grob 102 at the moment. Any questions on the above, please feel free !

Dave

Advert

Thanks for the very warm welcome folks !

Percy, my crew chief at RNAS Brawdy (Pembrokeshire) was a CPO Ron Gourlay (849 Sqdn). A wonderfully skilled engineer and a great man-manager. I learned a lot from him but never went to sea with him. We were due to join HMS Victorious - he did, I didn't. I wanted to transfer from engineering to flying, but, by the time I'd been through aircrew selection etc at Biggin Hill, the admiralty decided they didn't want to train any more fast jet pilots ! (The Harrier hadn't hit the proverbial drawing board at that time).

Ron, eventually, went on to head up the RN Historic Flight at Yeovilton - Sea Fury, Firefly and Swordfish amongst other 'orphans'. I also belonged to 738 Sqdn for a while - Hunter T8's and GA11's for advanced flying training. We also had a DH Vampire at Brawdy (used for air-experience flights) plus a T21b glider that gave me my first soaring trip. Happy days...

Dave