S8R Receiver problem

Phil Harman

Hey guys

I have tried and tried to configure several of my S8R receivers. I have found that the old 1.3v reads and writes perfectly. The drawback is that it doesn't allow you to select "Quick mode. However versions 1.8.1 and 1.8.4 do give you the option of selecting Quick mode and also allows you to reconfigure channels 5 & 6 to Aux 1 & Aux 2. Both these later versions work great with the S6R but not with the S8R. Also tried to flash the latest software using my STK tool but wont connect. Any ideas how I can proceed. I'm not happy with using Open TX as the last time I tried it I decimated my SD card and had to hunt around to get a replacement download for it to get sound back.

I know that the S8R 's are not in quick mode as they do not flash a blue LED when activated. The problem I have with the programming with 1.3 version is that when I select Auto mode on my Taranis X9d plus, the elevator, aileron and rudder go to extreme point.

Advert

I take it you have move the dip switch and the connections on the STK tool.

I've had problems in the past with the update tool and found that if i did not follow the order set out below it would not work.

PLUG IN ADAPTER.
START FRSKY UPDATE.
SELECT COM PORT.
select file
DOUBLE CLICK UPDATE FILE FRK. MUST DOUBLE CLICK NOT OPEN.
PLUG IN RECEIVER..

then it would present the update button. you can check the com port with the device manager.

I've just setup a S6R got everything working ok but, found the elevator throw on one side of the v tail was about half what it should have been. After 3 hours of messing around with the setting on the S6R, swapping servos,changing the output throws etc. to no avail I decided to read the instructions again and check the painless360 video. Didn't calibrate it correctly first time. DUH. Keep trying I,m sure you will get it sorted.

Yes, I did set the dip switch before plugging it in and also made sure the plug was on the other side with the data lead on the outside edge. I'll try the double click to see if it makes a difference. The Painless360 videos are great and I used them to set up my Taranis when I first got it. I've since found an additional way of programming these receivers using S.Port Airlink, so have ordered one from T9 Hobbies. Hoping that may make it easier. Thanks for your suggestion

Hey Guys, seem to have conquered the problem. Attilio suggested a link where you use the Transmitter to download the update to the receiver. Followed the video and updated two of my three S8R's. Apparently when you update the software the are supposed to be reset to quick mode. That didn't happen but when I tested one of the receivers I found that it was now working correctly on all five functions i.e. Stabilisation, Knife edge, Hover, Auto and Off. Fantastic. The second one, I wasn't so lucky and still had the same problem. So tried Config v1.8.4 again. Still wouldn't work. Went back to v1.3 and tried programming again. All programmed okay as before but this time tried revising aileron 1 & 2. Reconnected receiver. Oh joy! it worked okay. I realised that the aileron would still have to be working in the correct direction in order to stabilise correctly so went back in to the program and changed Aileron 1 back to its correct direction and left aileron 2 where I had set it. It worked fine. Now no problem with the receivers. Tried out the S.Port Airlink, No luck Im afraid. The app I downloaded onto my iPhone kept dropping out of the radio link and also when it was connected wasn't able to read or write again to the receiver. I haven't tried using it in place of the STK tool yet though. Thanks very much for your help guys. Looks like the problem was quite simple in the end. Just revers Aileron 2 in the program v1.3