Brian Taylor 83" Spitfire

I bought a set of plans, rad moulding, canopy and engine cowling from Traplet whilst at Barkston Heath. Has anyone built this model? I would like to know if there are any particular difficulties with the construction or any mistakes, I have noticed one on the plan where an imperial measurement is incorrectly converted to metric.

I am keen to go electric on this one so what motor and prop sizes (3 bladed) can you recommend, has anyone else electrified theirs?

What retract systems have you installed, I would like to use air up/down.

Advert

Hi Alan

Yes, it has been done! John Ranson (who is something of a pioneer of scale electric flight in this country) completed an 83" Spitfire Mk IX earlier this year.

If you join the RCScalebuilder site (www.rcscalebuilder.com) you will be able to follow the build and have all your questions answered. Follow this link to read the build thread:

http://www.rcscalebuilder.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=10065&PN=2

One small point: why would you want to fit a 3-bladed prop when the full size had a 4-blade?!!

Ah yes...most scale models you see seem to have only 2 bladed props which spoils their appearance, there are quite a few 3 bladed props available including the Master Airscrew series but I haven't seen much in 4's but I would prefer a 4.

Thanks for the link  I will follow it carefully.

Alan

On the same forum you will find a Norwegian chap named Stian who has also built an 83" Spit. He has a working 4-blade prop made by a company called Soloprop. Forget using multiblade props meant for I/C engines as you need to be able to adjust the pitch to suit your motor/battery combo and also to get the wattage and current levels right.

It's a whole new world so best of luck if you go ahead!