Micro magnetic actuators

I am trying to build a very light indoor model(around 6 grams) with a magnetic actuator for rudder control. These seem to consist of a coil of very fine wire with a tiny strong magnet pivoting inside. I have bought a coil and magnets but there are no instructions. How far in should the magnet be for optimun control?

I presume these are driven by a H bridge and use pulse width modulation to provide proportional control,but an not certain. Ares seem to use them on their micro models such as their tiger moth.

Any information would be welcome.Thanks

Advert

Posted by David Tayler on 26/01/2019 11:39:06:

Thank you Denis,I bought the coil and magnets from Micron rc. The receiver is much smaller than "bricks". It weighs 0.8 g. I believe Ares achieve proportional control with their magnetic actuators,or at least that is what the members of our club who fly them tell me.

You are already further on than I thought David, and I bet the new stuff is proportional.

It does not get any cheaper though ! , it can cost s much for a micro as a macro

It is a bonus to fly a lightweight that is all your own work, and the lads at the indoor fly in are prolific builders

My best allrounders homebuilt, are in the heavy league 80 - 90 grm AUW, 50W, 6A on 300ma 2S, but I do have the 4 blade P51 RTF that is around 50grm that I do enjoy

The Peanut lads have 30 grm proportional homebuilts

I also have some home builds in the 30 g range.Made of 2mm thick depron and a few bits of balsa.I have two Focker VII 's one awaiting a maiden but the other flies very well at a near scale speed.I have about 5 chipmunks with variable flight characteristics. I really enjoy building this type of model as when the inevitable mid air collision occurs they are so easily and cheaply rebuilt. The price of indoor ARTF models seems to have doubled in the last year or so and the "Brick" receivers certainly have.