Depron wheel tyres and rubber tyres.

Michael Barclay

p1070180.jpgBuilding in Depron I searched for a good material to make simple tyres. My first thought was neoprene cord and although otherwise very good it is very difficult to join succesfuly. I then tried EPDM sponge cord and this is excellent. Joins well with superglue and is very hard wearing. Tyres on my 48" depron version of Flair Magnatilla type ww1 fighter have now logged over 100 landings and are still good. Just make usual 2mm ply and depron sandwich with brass tube bush to suit piano wire size and cut the EPDM foam to circumference of wheel. No need to glue it to the wheel it will stay in place if you make it a stretch fit on the wheel. Best to make a scarph join on the EPDM as it gives a larger glueing area.

Hope someone finds this useful. (EPDM foam cord obtainable in many diameters online from Polymax.)

PS. Would be nice to know what others use.

Edited By Michael Barclay on 09/02/2019 18:18:48

Edited By Michael Barclay on 09/02/2019 18:26:44

Advert

It's always satisfying to make-your-own, nice job.

I have tried butt joining surgical rubber bungee cord to make a tyre, very difficult to get a near invisible join.

I have used a garden kneeling mat foam to cut very light tyres for commercial plastic hubs, they have lasted a long time.

Anyone looking for a 'hubcap', check out the bottom of a drinks can.

sbd21.jpg

At least the rest of the plane is Depron wink

Ray.