Military J3 Cubs

John Emms 1

I have a ready to cover GP Electricub 2. I have taken out the Cub Yellow film, and was about to start. But for a variety of reasons, I would like to finish it as a military Cub, and for a number of personal reasons, ideally a US military Cub.

I could convert it to a L4, but I would prefer to leave it as a J3.

There are the camouflage airship squadron finishes, but I would prefer to avoid the mess of spraying (picky, I know!).

What about the trainer schemes?

Were there any all yellow military trainers?

What about the standard trainer scheme of yellow wings and blue fuz - was the J3 too late into service for that?

Were there really any with base coat silver wings and yellow fus?

BTW I have cub yellow, silver, and mid blue film here. And I have a technique for making film US Army Air Force markings.

All comments and advice VERY welcome!

John

Advert

• 2 months later...

The key appeal of the Cub to me is the shear number a variety of the schemes and layouts available to it. I have always had a bit of a soft spot for the medivac cubs and the raffled off "Flitfires" in silver with RAF roundels and markings.

A quick search shows that by the looks of it some cubs were indeed used by the military in the iconic yellow scheme.
**LINK**

or at least some Super Cubs.

Hope this helps.

• 4 months later...

I may be wrong but weren't the J3 Cubs used in the Civilian Pilot Training Program which was designed to feed budding pilots into the military?

Photos (B&W) I've seen have all suggested them to be in the standard Cub Yellow scheme - probably thought to be a very suitable colour in a busy training environment!

I don't recall seeing any references to J3 Cubs in military service but there may well have been some examples...

Edited By Martin Harris on 11/09/2019 17:38:00