Servo prob

Bought 2 Alturn analogue servos. straight away I could tell one had been out the box.

plugged both into a spectrum rx to centre. one did not work. after several taps on the table it worked but very slow.

The other servo worked at normal speed BUT when the radio stick would centre the servo seemed to bounce around centre for a while,a delay.

A phone call to the shop and was told the one with the bounce was due to the frame rate of my spectrum radio,too high I think he said and the servo being a budget £14 one.

both were sent back with no probs BUT does that seem right?

Advert

If operating at the higher frame rates, analogue servos will struggle to keep up, but servos which are slow, won't centre, or bounce at normal frame rates are definitely not working properly.

If you have got a brand new one which is dead when taken out of the box, it doesn't bode well for the quality of the product or for the manufacturer's quality control.

Get your money back and buy servos of better (branded) quality.

AFAIA and through bitter experience before understanding fully what was going on a while ago, analogue servos will not run correctly when driven from the higher frame rate designed to get the best from digital servos, if your radio is set accordingly. Common knowledge now, hopefully.

A few years ago, I had an eight channel Spektrum telemetry RX that I bought at a bargain price (new and boxed) from a well known model shop that (so I went on to discover) had firmware that could only deliver the higher frame rate and made my analogue standard servos jitter and not centre correctly. The original retailer wasn't interested in the least, and very helpfully suggested that "nobody uses analogue servos anymore anyway, so what was I complaining about?" So much for good old customer servicewink. I didn't use that particular shop for a couple of years as I felt that I'd been poorly served by them, but eventually found out that the numpty that gave me the 'end of analogue' story had since left under a cloud, so I forgave them and use them quite a bit again now.yes

Although the original RX in question could have been updated, Horizon in Germany quickly exchanged the RX for a later version and all's been well since.