ST Discovery - Motor issue

Hi.

Lost signal on most recent flight, and complete front end of my ST Models Discovery destroyed. Rebuilding fuselage shell with epoxy and waiting for depleted UK spares to arrive mid July apparently.

However.... can anyone recommend an alternative motor to run with existing stock ESC as mine is bent and seized and there are no spares anywhere in UK.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Welcome to the forum Ambrose.

It is possible to use a different motor but unfortunately I think you will need to do a bit of fettling. I replaced mine with an Axi 2820/10 & 60 amp speed controller to make a 'Super Disco' but I expect that is OTT for what you want.

I don't know of a direct bolt in replacement, the motor fitted appears to be bespoke.

This or this motor look reasonable replacements as should other similar motors with a kv rating of about 900 that will take a 3S battery, there is plenty of space to take a physically larger motor and you can adjust the ballast weights that are in the bottom of the cowl to keep the correct centre of gravity. However the retaining bolt spacings will almost certainly be different so you will have to drill new holes to fit, in my case I needed to fabricate a new doubler from a sheet steel plate to get things to match up.

You may also have to reverse the shaft on the motor so that the correct part spins. If that is the case you can do a search 'reverse shaft on brushless motor' where you can find a number of YouTube tutorials.

Finally you say you have repaired the fuselage with epoxy. Be careful there. Whilst you may get a superficially sound joint you commonly find that it will fail as the structure flexes. I would recommend UHU Por or cyno ('Superglue' & kicker. You do not need the 'foam safe' cyno on the Discovery's EPO structure, ordinary cyno works better. Some have also had success with Gorilla glue but I'm not a fan of it.

Edited By John Lee on 06/05/2019 20:42:11