Mercury Tiger Moth

Having finished the restoration of my 1960's Frog Tutor ready for Old Warden, I'm on a roll and have started building one of the Mercury Tiger Moth kits that have been in the wardrobe for years. It was the model that inspired me to take up aeromodelling in 1961. Girls were the inspiration for me to set it to one side a few years later.

I've been checking out photos and videos of the full size aircraft and have noticed that the Gipsy engine rotates clockwise, whilst the convention for models generally seems to be anticlockwise.

Here's the question. If I fit a Pusher prop would it pull from the front if the motor was started anticlockwise? And, would the Mills .75 mind running the other way?

Thanks

You've all been very helpful with my previous questions. I hope this one doesn't have you falling off your seats with laughter.

Advert

Mills .75 engines run equally well in either direction so you pusher prop solution will work. When I had one, sadly among other stolen model items, I had to check the airflow to make sure it was running the right way - it's embarrassing asking someone to hand launch a small c/l plane when the engine is running backwards.

Malcolm

I built the Mercury Tiggy from some rather incomplete down loaded plans some years ago, originally with a Mills 0.75. The inverted motor proved difficult to start and operate since the compression screw was inaccessible and the structure rather fragile to get a good grip on. I tried to make a longer one but it did not work out too well, so in the end I electrified it (sorry). It still flies a treat and can cope with a high wind. Won a prize at Greenacres with it for the best between wars model. You must mix about 30% rudder in with the ailerons to get a smooth turn or it will bite you.

Thought that I had some pics in my album but they must be on another PC.

A Mills usually starts and runs perfectly in the wrong direction anyway but why bother?

• 3 weeks later...

Guys,

You were absolutely right.

I got a bit too much fuel in the Mills for the Tutor's first flight, at Old Warden. After quite a bit of faffing it oscillated a few times then burst into life. It flew about 10 feet from a rather hasty hand launch, straight into the grass. There were a few giggles and a wise old observation from the left: - 'engine was running backwards'!

We managed a short flight after that, so not a complete disaster.

So simple to put a hand up to check the airflow. Thank you.

I am finding it difficult to believe how much I knew about aeromodelling 55 years ago and how much I am having to re-learn now. It's very frustrating but a good source of exercise for the old grey matter.