Nostalgia trip - Reading Models "Red Admiral"

Hiya folks,

Recently returned to the hobby and going back 40 odd years I built a Reading Model Supplies (?) Red Admiral kit, which was a pretty high wing trainer, resembling a Cub or Taylorcraft, but without struts.

I spray painted it in Triumph olive drab, applied stars and bars transfers and it looked much like a 'Grasshopper'. I can't remember what engine I would have put in it.

What ever happened to Reading Model Supplies and does anybody remember the 'Red Admiral', just a nostalgic longing to own one again, you know what I mean I am sure.

Phil

Advert

My memory says Red Admiral was a Skyways kit and therefore it would be Masons Models nowadays, maybe I am wrong!

As Masons don't seem to do that design at the moment you might consider something similar like the DB Tyro Major which looks fine in a US livery.   ( buy the plan and a set of wing ribs for an economy build ) Lots of similar trainers that could be made to look a bit scale.

Edited By kc on 16/05/2019 14:14:49

Reading Model Supplies ceased trading in the 1980's following the untimely death of Stan Birch the the owner. The business carried on for a few months until Stan's widow closed the business down. Gerry Jackman went on to found Thatcham small Turbines until his untimely death a few weeks short of his 65th birthday. I was a regular customer from the late 60's until the business closed down. The Chatham Street shop under the carpark has long been demolished replaced by a block of flats. I don't think RMS ever produced kits.

Well, thank you all, kc, Percy and Martin, that's good to know. This was a mail order purchase and so I knew nothing actual of Reading Model Supplies nor do I remember Unique Models/Skyways. I saw an advert for the Red Admiral (surely in RCME) and liked the look of it.

I guess I am typical of my generation, grew up in the 60s with Airfix, Keil Kraft, Mercury and Veron but life, work, family etc ( and full size gliding) took me away from RC models.  I remember the DB Tyro too kc, but never had one, as I was mostly keen on gliders and loved my Veron Impala.

I was given an Art Tec Diamond 1800 electric glider for my 60th birthday, and if it were not for the event of these 'foamies' I don't think I would have come back to model flying although retirement is but months away and I am now enjoying ridge soaring and also membership of two Model Clubs.

Perhaps I will find a vintage Red Admiral kit on eBay and one day build another, it was a lovely little model.

Many thanks all for the information.

Phil

Edited By philip hawkey on 17/05/2019 09:19:21

I eventually found a Skyways catalogue from 1991/2 with the Red Admiral. A very poor photo in the catalogue which won't show you much detail but the wording gives some info. Price was 50.50pounds then. By 1997 the catalogue omits this model.

This model should not be confused with the Aeromodeller plan of the same name which is a low wing free flight model 32 inch span for rubber power.

skywaysredadmiral.jpg

kc, that's wonderful, thank you very much indeed for the research.

I am surprised to see it for sale still in 1992/2, as I am sure this would have been bought in my early 20's, say 1978/9 and I felt sure it was boxed and advertised as a "Reading Model Supplies" model, i.e. literally cut, boxed and sold by them as their own product. Well, what ever, my memory was never good and I'd love to build another of these.

A Tyro or Super 60 or anything similar will eventually have to do I guess, but I'll keep hoping.

Best wishes and many thanks to you kc and all!

Phil, Perranporth, Cornwall.

The 1991 catalogue says it has been re-introduced, and I don't remember it being in the range when i first encountered Skyways at shows in 1984 to 90. However previously Skyways was called Unique Models and maybe had other names and proprietors too. So it could have been sold through model shops in an earlier era.

As for making a new model it may be worth considering a proper but simple scale model if you don't really need a trainer. Plans for simple scale jobs like Aeronca Tandem, Piper Cub and Taylorcraft are on Outerzone etc, There are precut kits available from Belair etc.

If you really must build a Red Admiral make a phone call to Masons Models ( successors to Skyways) and see if they have the plan and would be willing to sell you a copy. If you need foam wings cut then there are still people like Bill Kits who cut them to your templates.

Edited By kc on 19/05/2019 19:55:01

Thank you kc, good advice on both accounts, go scale or try to get a plan. Retirement isn't far off, so a build is an attractive idea and there is good help available locally and in my Clubs.

Still good fun this hobby, for all its present-day frustrations, there is plenty of choice in models, yet I still want something hard-to-get from the distant past.

Best wishes,

Phil.

A very similar advert appears in Radio Modeller for March 1975 but does not say they are available from model shops. Same prices - if only we had all stocked up with a set of foam wings and plan for 6 pounds with a glassfibre cowl for 1.50 extra! ( note that it says it's essential for the Red Admiral so make sure you get that too if you do find a kit )

RM cost 25 pence in 1975........but of course a 4 channel Futaba radio with 4 servos cost 145 pounds then so the hobby is really cheaper today.

Edited By kc on 20/05/2019 13:00:23

Percy, if you read the advert shown above you will see it says " UM products are now stocked by model shops " so Phillip's memory of buying from a shop would seem correct. However they were mostly sold direct at shows or by mail from Skyways.

VAT started in 1973 and was 10 percent - so half todays rate! This was possibly a reduction compared to the Purchase tax which applied previoulsy at a high rate but only on luxury goods not everything( almost ) like VAT.

Aw, come on Percy, please, I bet you have a Red Admiral box tucked away home there somewhere, and wouldn't it be nice to grant an ageing returner just a little bit of nostalgic pleasure. You can't take them with you, you know, as my dear Mother used to say.

Best to all,

Phil