Beginner scale model flying resources

Chris Jones 7

if you go over to the F3 area there’re are lots of helpful pages for flying manoeuvres, trimming and setting up models perfectly, even first competition helpful hints not to mention the introduction to aerobatics days held at Buckminster.

what doesn’t seem so obvious are such things for scale flying, please note I’m not talking about the building aspect but purely the flying. I’ve kinda got a hankering to enter a scale flying only competition but I’m the kinda person who reads as much as they can to prepare first and I’m not finding much at all.

does anyone have any links to stuff that may be of interest?

Advert

Hi Chris, I am also hoping to do some flying only comps this year.

What you need to read is the BMFA scale rulebook, concentrating on the scale sections.

Also you need to read the judges notes, another document on the scale BMFA website:

Scale Rules 2019

Judges Guide 2019

Andy Sephton has been running a guide as to what manouvres to pick. You mustn't always pick the easy ones because the overall imterpretation is scored as well. An overshoot may seem easy, but it has to be done really well to get really high points.

Look at the K factor and you will see take-off and landing, are ripe fruit. Descending circle and figure of eight are fairly straightforward but not as easy as you would think.

Read the rule book carefully, most competitors haven't understood the rules, and the judges guide gives you a good insight into what is being looked for.

The calendar is here

I am going to try the new light scale class, for under 5kg (less fuel or batts).

Cheers

Danny

Thanks Danny, I’ve had a look through them, was a great help. How do people decide on what the model should look like in the Air when performing the moves? YouTube, Airshows? Is there, for example, leeway on when to drop undercarriage etc? For example a 747 would have a long straight in approach with the gear down from a long way out where as a Spitfire would have a curving approach with the gear dropped comparatively close in.

Hi Chris, I am just a beginner in these things too. I have flown the routines indoors in comps so I know a few things they (judges) look for. They are supposed to use their knowledge of the type to judge flight appearance. It is quite an interpretation, and open to question.

When the gear is dropped is possibly outside of the landing manouvres, as you say dependant of aircraft type. I have seen gear dropped during a fly past, to ensure it has come down, before turning downwind.

The best thing I can suggest is dive in and have a go. The scale guys have all offered to "call" for me, they are trying hard to be more approachable.

Let me know which event you fancy, and i will try to make it, we can compare notes

Where do you fly? I am in the Midlands.

Cheers

Danny

Chris, you will learn an awful lot on how to set up a model by attending one of the Aerobatic days at Buckminster. Its worth trying some aerobatics as you may choose to fly an aerobatic scale aircraft. Also, it will get you used to seeing your aircraft at odd angles and how to recover safely from them. That will help your flying to improve when you fly scale models.