How to get RSSI indication from XSRF3E?

Allan Bennett

I've had two quadcopters using FrSky's XSRF3E board -- an SPRACINGF3EVO flight controller with onboard XSR receiver -- for a couple of years now, but neither of them shows any RSSI indication on my Taranis transmitter. This hasn't worried me since I fly my quads within the space of a football field, and I thought it was a feature of that particular receiver.

Today I lost one of my quads, and a club mate suggested using the RSSI indication as an aid to locating it. This prompted me to look at the XSRF3E instruction sheet again, and I see that it says "In the Receiver, set the RSSI channel to be 8."

How do I do that? Is it something in OpenTX Configurator, in Betaflight or iNav configurator, or in the menus on the transmitter itself?

Advert

Interesting that nobody seems to have encountered or, at least, solved this problem.

I've been reminded that with OTX 2.2.3 there's now options for telemetry or no-telemetry when binding, so I tried re-binding with the telemetry option, to no avail. Then I found a suggestion that there's a bug in the original XSR firmware (didn't say that it was directly related to my issue though), so maybe a firmware upgrade is in order. The only thing putting me off that is having to extract the flight controller from my quad (which is flying nicely, thank you, apart from no RSSI indication) in order to solder on wires for the connection to my transmitter. I've downloaded the necessary file and parked it in the FIRMWARE folder in my transmitter in case I get the urge to dismantle my quad sometime laugh

• 1 month later...

Well, I did get the urge to update the receiver's firmware, and the process seems to have bricked it!

I connected the module to my laptop's USB port following internet instructions, with no battery connected to the module, yet as soon as I initiated the update all the LED strings on my quad illuminated at what seemed to be full brightness, and I got a message saying the update had failed. Now the module will no longer bind to my Taranis, nor am I able to re-do the firmware update. The receiver's red light is solid, and its green light is flickering faintly when I power up; the flight controller's lights seem to be behaving normally.

What really puzzled me was the LEDs coming on with only power from the USB. They're 12v strings, powered from the 12v output on a Matek PDB. The XSRF3E is normally powered from the 5v output on the same board, and was connected (though the board was not powered) when I attempted the update. All I can surmise is that 5v from the USB has somehow fed back through the PDB's 5v outlet and thence been converted to 12v for the LED strings, and the resulting current has been too much for something in the XSR receiver.

I've been in touch with T9 and they've said they'll get FrSky to have a look at it for me.