Ballast

Richie P

Can anyone tell me where i put ballast in my easystar so i can start flying in stronger winds,for the past four months i have flown the plane four or five times a week in low to a very light breeze.Iam using li-po 2 cell 1700 mh battery so the weight is a is lower than if i used nicads.Finally dose the c of g stay the same once the weight is added, and do you go over the all up weight rating for the the model.

Advert

thanks eric, but now i'm confused as in the august issue of rcm&e there is a article on pimp my chuckie where it states that you can fly in winds from 3 to 20 mph and even moore if you add ballest. if this is wright will i have less controll with a light plane in strong winds, or is it moore stable with moore weight, sorry for  confussion but we are in the learning curve

• 3 months later...
The suggested place for ballast in the EasyGlider, also by multiplex, is inside the carbon rod wing joiner. They say 8ml Metal rod but this doesn't fit.  If you can find a metal rod that will fit inside the carbon Fibre wing joining rod this might help.  Or, if you are adventurous you could replace the CF rod with a metal one.  The advantage of more ballast is penetration into wind.  The dangers have been covered by Eric.

thanks john now you mention it i did read somewhere to do just that, you'v jogged my memory, i will do that. i have been flying the easystar for a while, and now i have  the easyglider, my plans for the easystar is to put alerons on her just to experiment and see what happens,then add weight for a nice strong windy day, again to see what happens, but as eric as siad it could be splat

An 8 mm threaded rod will fit inside the c/f tube of the EG and might be easier to find than a plain rod. I found one in my small general hardware store which sells ironing boards and lightbulbs etc.! Seems very heavy for the EG but does work.

My plan was to get a piece of metal rod the same size as the CF tube and cut it into 3 equal pieces.  Then get some dowel and cut that into 3 same size pieces and cut one piece in half.  That way I can use one, two or three metal rods with dowel as needed to pack any space.  The piece cut in half is for use should I use two pieces of metal rod.