ETA 29

paul timms

Hi All and being Christmas day here in Australia top of the day to you all. My good news is last week a perfect ETA 29 mark 6 arrived in the post. There's a story with the motor. I saw an add for a set of 5 motors under the heading Saber motors. I had a quick look and yes there was an ETA 29 in the photos. I put a offer in so I could seal the deal, the offer was accepted. The motors were $40 with $12 postage. They took an age in the post, but last week they arrived. The ETA was able to be rotated straight out of the box. by the look of the piston and exhaust port its new ,bearings are great with no rough spots, great deal. the other motors have value but need work.

Edited By paul timms on 24/12/2020 21:54:32

Advert

Hi brokenenglish I had a good look on the motor and as it has the first numbers of 0429 which indicates that is a Mark 4 the last three numbers are 158 originally I only looked at the 58 and then thinking that being the year. I hope you agree with me on this. Also the Bloke that owned it was active in the 1953 time slot give or take a year, his other motors are around that era .Any information re the performance on that Russian 29 (not going to call it an ETA) . The motor still looks a low time motor. Bearings are super Slick not what I expected in a motor of this age. Hope you had a good Christmas. AS to the virous Here in Victoria we have about 12 international travelers in lock down there are about 121 in NSW so all is good here I've seen the numbers

Apologies Paul, you're perfectly correct.

As you will gather, I like Eta 29s. I have at least one of every mark, except that I haven't got a Mk IV, which yours obviously is.

You'll find a full review and test of the Mk IV on the excellent Sceptre Web site. I remember when that test was first published (December '56). I was at school and we were all very impressed!

**LINK**

In 1956 I was 9 years old and was impressed by everything . It was a big world and I was a very small boy with a Tipan 1.5 many in the club ran 2.5 , OS were about in 29 & 35s Real big time. We read the print of Aeromodler and flew every Sunday. Thinking back I think I was in grade 4 which made me 10 with an income of 2/6 a week Man you could not do to much on that income Dad came home with a big bottle of ether 1 gallon and a quart of caster oil the lighting kero was easy to get 1/1 a gallon they were the days ,the only thing I needed was the Caster due to the quart being a small tin I'm 73 now and very involved with a small collection of motors to look at and heaps to use. I collect the AM motors Saito and OS Mills and that it O two ETAs one real one fake. I like Piper Cubs Texans etc Take care PS Thanks for the LINK

Posted by Peter Miller on 31/07/2019 13:43:28:

In those days we used anything that we had for any type of model

Very true.

I had three Eta 29s, all the Mk VIc, which was the last type. One went in a Berkeley (American) control line kit Cosmic Wind 'Little Tony', one in a grossly over-powered Contest Kits 'Combat King' and a third in a 'Detroit Stunter Strathmoor' (see Outerzone or 1958/9 Aeromodeller Annual).

All usually flown at the local recreation ground.

One later went in the 39 inch Graupner Focke-Wulf Ta 152H1 control line kit meant for a 2.5 diesel, resulting in another rocketship. It's still on our 'front room' wall, complete with Eta 29, though it sounds as if it might have Death Watch beetle..

Later I put one of them in an Aerokits 'Sea Hornet' 24 inch speedboat, replacing the ED Hornet 1.5 cc diesel it previously had. A ED Racer marine flywheel and a coil of copper tube round the fins provided water cooling and worked fine. 'Controlled' (a rather loose term) by single channel Macgregor Minimac 'bang-bang' rc and no throttle.

I bought them simply because they were by far the most powerful readily available 29. I've still got them all, in fine condition but not for sale.

I'm tempted to put one in a Chris Olsen 'Uproar' as that is what he used. I have a spare Kavan carb which I could attach with a silicone tube as I don't want to mess up the original intake.

Posted by Roger Jones 3 on 26/12/2020 14:31:55

...I'm tempted to put one in a Chris Olsen 'Uproar' as that is what he used. I have a spare Kavan carb which I could attach with a silicone tube as I don't want to mess up the original intake.

All well and good Roger but don't forget to fit a silencer if you're going to fly it at a club field.

I shall be using an Irvine 36 in mine once I've repaired the wing.

Edited By David Davis 2 on 26/12/2020 17:27:04

Posted by David Davis 2 on 26/12/2020 17:26:27:
Posted by Roger Jones 3 on 26/12/2020 14:31:55

...I'm tempted to put one in a Chris Olsen 'Uproar' as that is what he used. I have a spare Kavan carb which I could attach with a silicone tube as I don't want to mess up the original intake.

All well and good Roger but don't forget to fit a silencer if you're going to fly it at a club field.

I shall be using an Irvine 36 in mine once I've repaired the wing.

Edited By David Davis 2 on 26/12/2020 17:27:04

The VIc has an exhaust casting that makes provision for Eta's own 'open fronted' silencer, which was a very neat and efficient five part device with an internal venturi exhaust extractor. You could also use them in pairs on the Eta 15 diesel too if you purchased the Eta 15 'like an ED Racer but detachable' exhaust manifold.

I have three of those so will use one.

PS: The Eta 29, particularly the later ones, was a terrific engine in its day. Far more powerful than the 'stunt' 35's, which were about the biggest engines there were.  It certainly pulled the 53 inch stunter 'Strathmoor'  around superbly.

Another great engine  was the Super Tigre G15 - about twice as powerful as an Oliver. I put one of those in an 'Ironmonger' combat model. Great fun but far too fast for actual combat. 

Edited By Roger Jones 3 on 26/12/2020 22:56:44

Roger, I have always admired the Uproar but have never got mine to fly successfully. However, I am a much more proficient pilot now than I was when I first built the model. I'd be very interested in seeing a build blog of your Uproar if you decide to build one and power it with the ETA.

One of my finest modelling memories is of a show I went to at an airfield somewhere near Manchester in 1961 or 1962. The highlight of the event was of three airobatic models being flown at the same time, one of which certainly looked like an Uproar. Of course that was sixty years ago and one's memory does play tricks...

nearly there. (2).jpg

• 2 years later...