Glo powered Electric ?

Flanker .

Advert

Ok, bit of fun it is, and being from Carlisle.....I doubt you are much more ooop north, I still disagree, strongly, especially the skill bit, problem with a lot of IC fliers is they are still thinking of electric models as little floaty things, that are "twee"......as opposed to large warbirds [like wot I fly], or 100mph+ jets.....it takes skill to get them right.

I have a sense of humour for sure.......but my knowledge of ether sniffing is a little lacking, so please accept my apologies!

As for sound modules, yes, engine start up sound [even a false start!], already on the program, only downside for the Typhoon is I'm having to use a Griffon, as of course, there are no recordings of the Napier Sabre engine, but it sounds damn fine.....recordings available are....

Merlin [Rolls Royce and Packard...they DO sound different], ME109, FW190, F4-U Corsair, Gnome rotary, Pratt & Whitney rotary, prop turbine.....list goes on.....cannon, machine gun's, cockpit talk.....oh, I'm going to have some fun with this.

If I may add my 2 penny worth.

Electric with sound?  If you have hundreds of watts of power on board why not spare a little bit for realistic sound - the flight sims have been doing it for years. Whether it really emulates the sound of a big aero engine is another matter.

Glow powered electric would seem to exhibit the worst of both worlds. Heavy & noisy!  On board electic generation is of course used but only where the extra weight is not too much of a penalty (trains and ships).

There are a couple of videos (with sound) of Typhoons flying past but I can find no start up sequence. With 24 cylinders and turning at 3850 revs it certainly sounds quite a bit different.

Scot amigo mio when I refer to skill I mean starting and tuning and fettling IC engines. You just do not have to with an electric motor. It just goes when one applies current and voltage. As I said before the skill with electric comes from the harmonising of battery packs, esc's and motors. And this harmonising once done allows "Joe bloggs" to put one in his plane and fly knowing it will work.  I know that many folk who can't get ic to work for them (Mr flick flick flick, starter grind grind, swear) LOVE electric because they are saved all that pain.  I  also know that  any electric set up can be happily fiddled with for hours and involves knowledge and skill.

Remember that there are many leccy folk who call my sort of plane a "slimer" so the slagging is not one sided. ( it should be FUN slagging though, if you have had your gender questioned due to the type of plane you enjoy I can see why you are so sensitive ) I never for a moment think of voltage models as only floaty things, I do read the magazine you know! They are full of incredible machines that took a shed load of skill to achieve.

Now have I grovelled enough, or do I go down stairs to the workshop and attach wires to myself while standing in a bucket of ether ????!!!