Glo powered Electric ?

Flanker .

So probably another stupid one this, but after looking at the blog of the electric michell bomber and thinking what a shame to put electrics in it (SO complex) but seeing it 'coz with a twin it is nice not to worry about flame outs n cowl chopping, I wondered if anyone ever had tried diesel electric transmission in a model. Ie where a fuz mounted motor and dynamo drives motors in the wings, no esc's no li pos. that fine ic noise as opposed to a nasty whine, and no asymmetric in the event of a flame out. As I said probably a very silly idea, but ours is a silly sport where folks do crazy complex and doomed stuff just for the crack! May it be ever thus!

Go well all, F

Advert

You'd have to use brushed motors, which would be a thing of the past, and it would have to have the magic combination of light weight fragility (which goes for any electric) along with all the fuel proofed, vibration resistant rigiderty and strenth of an IC. Never seen that done...

You assuming it will be a nasty whine, wrong, twins use [usually] high kev motors [high rpm per volt], I use 2 x 1450kv 500 watt motors on my Mosquito, spinning two 10x5 wooden props....even the IC flyers at my club reckon it sounds more realistic than a pair of 0.25's ever would.....and I have a huge amount of power into the bargain....I wouldn't write off electric.

Hi all.

I am back from my hols now and full of the joy's of autumn and this sort of idear is just what keeps me on full song, in theory put a battery drill on one brushless shaft connect the three wires to another brush-less and hay presto the second one dues the same as the first one in reves but dose it work in real time. I haven't got two identical motors, other wise I would have tryed it by now, but food for thought.

keep them comming Owen.

Re "nasty whine"  I don't write off electric, I just hate electric models. I have three electric models. My shockie would be silly with a glo motor. My Lama would be even silly er and rotten indoors. My SU 27 makes a nasty whine and would be very nasty to try and IC power. I just don't like 'leccy models. To be frank the batteries are a total pain, you have one flight and that is that unless you have lots of batts per plane (costly) or standardise your fleet, sensible but dull.  I do not want to opèn the electric v ic debate because there is no debate. Elecric models fly well at all sizes and  the current market sez it all. I just hate the things . YUK. Too , I don't know, soulless I suppose. Just plug n fly. No skill in it  ( except the maths and who likes maths?, Anyone who is good at maths must ipso facto be a sad b*****d!! ) just switch on. No risk of a flame out, no need to plan a dead stick approach.  No smell, no oil , Real planes are smelly and dirty,  ( stand next to an A320 it smells, it is dirty) electric planes are all clean all the time  Yrrch!.  Electric just works, out of the box.  Sigh . It is like a vovo estate or an Austin Alegro, sure its a car, it drives from a to b, but ....As I say just a personal feeling. BUT re the post has anyone used an IC motor to feed out board electrics ? Would be great on big multies.  To repeat ,a personal feeling, I have 3 electric models ....  lol F

You don't want to open the electric v ic debate....then accuse us [electric fliers] of having no skill and flying souless models that are akin to Austin Allegro's?...well, once you have jumped off the fence mate, just tell us all like it is!

Obviously, each to their own, and I would retort with......total rubbish......glow engines don't sound like aero engines, not unless we are talking about radials, only Turbines are true to scale in most instances.

I remember somebody [ic flyers can be such bores for this] lecturing me on how my models didn't sound right, then he took off with his 0.60 Spitfire....."yeah" .....I said....."just sounds like a Merlin that".

I also remember being told "electric flight is for poofs" by another enlightened ic flier....because wiping oil off your pride and joy, spending half an hour trying to tune a glorified chainsaw engine, crashing models when motors cut on take off, etc.......that's REAL MAN's work by all accounts?

And I'm sure [hope] you didn't mean it the way it came accross Eric but "they have their place"? I would feel patronised a little here my friend other than giving you the benefit of the doubt!

I fly with 99% ic fliers, and don't really care one way of the other what they do.....and I expect that to be reciprocated as I have as much right to enjoy what I am doing as the "oil burners", without having their opinions rammed down my throat.

Hiya Flanker

the biggest prob with an IC - generator - electric setup is going to be powerloss down the line.

If you're talking a twin electric requiring (for arguments sake) two 120 watt motors (240W total), or roughly two 09 motors, you'll need an IC motor that's capable of putting out about 50% more power than that (so not a .18, but rather a .30) to account for losses in generation and transmission.

So you'll end up with....

- an IC motor that weighs as much as if not more than the specified IC power train (two 09s)

PLUS

- Dynamo
 - wiring
 - ESCs
 - Two electric motors

AlistairT

PS - Stick a cox 020 or .049 on the front of the shocky. I'm running a Nigel Hawes 30" tucano with a cox, after trying electric setups (which worked fine, don't get me wrong). I fanced going retro, and the design is sound for small IC with its long nose and well proportioned surfaces. now where's that OS .10

Eric I miss the smell of ether too, but I never detect it at all when I visit an IC session. I use built in quick recharge batteries all the time and fly exactly the same IC models as the IC guys (mine are electric). Some with much more power. Some have longer duration and some shorter. I would like some noise, but all the other advantages outweigh this for me. Such as being able to fly at any time its daylight, instead of just during our limited IC sessions. Indeed I had (till a glitch between the ears killed it) a 50 Sized ARTF aerobat which I built for quick change between IC and Electric. This could be done in 2 minutes. At the end of an IC session I would convert to electrics. There was no comparison, electric power in this model was far superior. (Irvine53 IC / 6S A123 electric) This is probably as close as I'd like to get to an IC powered electric. Although I cant fault the thinking about reliable twins. OOH, I have charged my electric models from a generator, does that count???

Thought as much Eric......just checking.....CAA wern't too bothered about Top Gear trying to make a plastic pig fly.....so, your in with a chance.

Anyway, anybody checked out the latest in RC sound equipment? They are getting smaller, better and cheaper all the time......we are about to import some....now, you can't get more realistic than the sampled sound of the real thing....then all this IC v leccy rubbish might go away with any luck...especially as leccy models are now out-performing glow engines.

So now we are going to carry amps n speakers in order to replicate the sound of the ic motor we just got rid of ???!! You guys are nuts ! (Yes I know, a 46 glo won't sound like a merlin.) So are these unit slaved to the esc to vary the sound in line with the throttle ?

I notice a lot of nostalgic references to Ether could this be why -

quoted from Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas Hunter S Thompson.

I soaked another kleenex (with Ether) and fouled my own nose. The smell was overwhelming, even with the top down. Soon we were staggering up the stairs towards the entrance, laughing stupidly and dragging each other along, like drunks.

This is the main advantage of ether: it makes you behave like the village drunkard in some early Irish novel. . . total loss of all basic motor skills: blurred vision, no balance, numb tongue ­severance of all connection between the body and the brain. Which is interesting, because the brain continues to function more orIess normally. . . you can actually watch yourself behaving in this terrible way, but you can't control it.
You approach the turnstiles leading into the Circus-Circus and you know that when you get there, you have to give the man two dollars or he won't let you inside. . . but when you get there, everything goes wrong: you misjudge the distance to the turnstile and slam against it, bounce off and grab hold of an old woman to keep from falling, some angry Rotarian shoves you and you think: What's happening here? What's going on? Then you hear yourself mumbling: 'Dog's **cked the Pope, no fault of mine. Watch out I. .. Why money? My name is Brinks; I was born... born? Get sheep over side. . . women and children to armored car... orders from Captain Zeep.'

Ah, devil ether - a total body drug. The-mind recoils in horror,unable to communicate with the spinal column. The hands flap crazily, unable to get-money out of the pocket. . . garbled laughter and hissing from the mouth. . . always smiling.

Ether is the perfect drug for Las Vegas. In this town they love a drunk. Fresh meat. So they put us through the turnstiles and turned us loose inside.

LOL Flanker ( No I have never owend a diesel!)

Apart from the question at the top......I have absolutley no idea what you are on about.....weather nice on your planet?!

And I'm not being funny, but carrying amps and speakers to make it sound like the real thing, not a bee in a bucket.......slight difference!

You seem to know an awful lot about the effects of ether......is that what the fascination is?

Is that why I enjoyed my Diesels so much?? LOL (Ether - the "active" constituent of model diesel fuel) There are already quite a number of sound equipped large electric models on the display circuit. Throttle is indeed slaved, and an authentic startup sound is included, before the sound revs with the throttle setting. e.g. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qlz-fniK1Y

Scott me old mate - Please do not be cross, we are having a little fun here. Here I am having a gentle tease and pointing out that I fly electric to show that I am not really a bigot.. I said when I started the thread that I am being silly. An IC engine driving electric motors!!! ( I DO wonder if it would work). I used the word "whine" to be gently provocative. I stated that I don't like electric models and why, while pointing out that the market place sez it all, and flying fields every where. Full of lovely clean practical long flying electric models. This forum would be very dull if all we do is talk tech. I am from up North where folks like to "Jive" a little to be friendly. It does take skill to operate IC without trouble and I am proud of that skill. Electric avoids needing this skill, it is simpler, and thanks to people like you, pioneers in electric, the skill of how to get the correct combo for one's plane has been worked out by experiment and hard work (brain work) I do hope that my humor is different to "thats for poofs" but perhaps I am too subtle.

So if I have offended you, or made you feel threatened in any way I apologise without reservation.

The weather on my planet is fine, hot and sunny by the way, and I love it. Lol is the give away, it means "loads of larfs" and is meant to remove any "sting"

Lol Flanker the *****r