OS 40 FP Mixture problem

Roger Dyke

Have you checked the tank, and all associated plumbing? Maybe something is inhibiting the pressure line in to the tank (like gunk in the silencer) - that might strangle the fuel flow at full chat, you adjust the needle to suit, which could make mid/low running rich.

The dodge with a 1/4" of fuel tube slipped over the main needle is worth doing. They can leak just a tiny amount, as you already know there is no O ring.

I have found best results on the 40FP with 5% nitro to be from a warmer plug. Enya #3 will be perfect. Model Technics F6 (the warm plug) also good, my favourite is their MaxFlash M6 (warm). The throttle is like the proverbial rheostat and idle absolutely rock steady with that combination, I have had mine running at idle for minutes at a time followed by snap opening the throttle with instant response. My view, they're superb engines, excellent power to weight, no bearings to rust, simple to tune, the only caveat is that they don't want to run at high revs, not a problem for average sport use.

Advert

Nigel: Tank and plumbing 100% and checked, and is only a few months old from new. I have also tried the 1/4" fuel tube trick on the needle valve (which seemed to be okay without).. I have used a Model Technics Firepower 5, and a OS #8. I have just sent away for some Enya 3's which I'm going to try. Thanks for the benefit from your own experience.

Edited By Roger Dyke on 30/08/2019 12:29:18

Forgive me if i missed it, but has the model flown?

I ask as all this faffing about on the ground is fine and worth an investigation, but the problem may in fact not be a problem in the air with the engine zipping along and right up up full temperature. The fuel pooling situation ED mentions is quite right but usually happen at low rpm. when flying around at half throttle or more its usually not an issue.

If its a problem in the air then fair enough, i was just curious if the model had flown or if this was all ground school

Jon: The model has had 21 successful flights to date, starting in April this year. With hindsight and listening to all the posters, I may be guilty of backing off the main needle too much to prevent against quitting in flight. I'm still going to try out a few of the posters suggestions though.