Once upon a time, on Ivinghoe Beacon, we flew Soarcerers.

The Soarcerer was a 4 ft or so rudder elevator slope soarer, traditional built up construction, designed by Dave Hughes. Very popular at the Beacon in the late 70s, It needed a fair puff to fly, 12mph or so upwards, and ran out of penetration at about 20mph so it was by modern standards a bit limited. But it taught a lot of my friends and I to fly, I'm sure many others too. You could even build a Kipper wing for it and learn to fly ailerons. I progressed to a Phase 6 which I still have, and a Kamco Kloudrider for floaty evenings. But I gave it all up to go Kart racing - 100 Britains -  in the mid 80s and stopped flying then.

Overcome by nostalgia I feel the desire to build another Soarcerer to join the Phase 6 and Kloudrider in the workshop, and maybe even to rejoin the ISA and go up the Beacon again. Does anyone have a plan they would sell or loan for copying? I know I'm stuck in the past, but I'm not in the least moved by all this modern stuff that does 200mph vertically off the edge of a cliff, t'ain't flying to me!

Advert

In the 70's I used to fly from Old Winchester Hill, until we got thrown off because there were 'rare' flowers growing at the foot of it and people watching us fly might tread on them!

I have to say that most of my flying wasn't worth watching! After that we moved to a farmer's field on the other side of the road, or went to Butser.

I started with an Impala, then a Graupner Dandy, then  a Soarcerer. I have a Soarcerer in the garage which I built about ten years' ago, I haven't flown it for a few years, but I'm hoping to have a go with it next year at Butser.

Incidentally my (RE) Impala would sometimes 'stick' inverted, it used to make me look good stooging around upside down, but really I was trying to get it back up the right way!

• 2 weeks later...

Chap called Dave Hill used to make Soarcerer fibreglass fuzzes for the Sheffield club lads, tops & bottoms rather than the usual left & right sides. Here's one in the foreground of the attached 1970 pic.

I still have a few Impala & Soarcerer wings, and I still have a 3/4 scale Impala I built years ago, a bit like the Soarcerette idea (I built mine first, honest!).

We occasionally used full-house Soarcerers for serious aerobatics/pylon competitions back then...

Good old days.

Phil

http://www.mccrash-racing.co.uk/pics/tinkers_1970_names.jpg