Falcon Sunbeam 99 information wanted

wingcoax

I have just acquired a Falcon Sunbeam 99, (this is on the wing) at auction, This included an ASP red head engine, not sure if 40 or 46 yet as shrouded and a full set of Futaba servos, also a Turbex starter. Model is in fairly good condition apart from a bit of "hangar rash" Engine appears in very good condition with a touch of weathering due i think to storage, it turns over nicely but will be stripped and cleaned before attempting to start. Can anyone tell me anything about this model?

Advert

Unfortunately the throttle lever and carb are stuck, so deem it politic to strip to limited level and clean and also check bearings. I have stripped and rebuilt several engines over the years so no real problem. Also difficult to get fuel here on the Algarve, It has to come by mail order.

Given it a soak in meths, or whatever it is they sell there. Alcohol a bruler here. If you put a bit of pressure, not bending, soak and repeat it will shift with a bit of patience. Don't waste fuel.

leaving in a pot of the meths, outside under cover where the sun gets at it so it heat cycles a bit. A lot easier and better than disturbing mated surfaces.

• 3 years later...
On 03/11/2019 at 12:39, wingcoax said:

I have just acquired a Falcon Sunbeam 99, (this is on the wing) at auction, This included an ASP red head engine, not sure if 40 or 46 yet as shrouded and a full set of Futaba servos, also a Turbex starter. Model is in fairly good condition apart from a bit of "hangar rash" Engine appears in very good condition with a touch of weathering due i think to storage, it turns over nicely but will be stripped and cleaned before attempting to start. Can anyone tell me anything about this model?

I have one.. fibreglass fuselage, foam wing covered in balsa... 57 inch... 4-channel, I've owned mine 35 years... Great trainer and sporty too