Seagull Pre Assembled Field Flight Box and Model Stand

will -0

Hi

Just posting this as a review of my experience with the above.

Some two years ago, deciding that I'd rather spend time building models than flight boxes I opted to buy a pre-built box.
Looking around, though nothing was perfect, this one caught my eye as it doesn't have a power panel slot (which I'd not use) and has a model stand on top

**LINK**

I hasten to add that I did not buy this from SMC but paid £37 for a new one from fleabay.

Anyway, all was well initially, it's finished in a very fuel proof varnish, though it looks like this is sprayed on after assembly as it doesn't reach inside cavities etc.

It doesn't have a space to store a fuel bottle- at least not the standard ones we get in this country. This is annoying and not easy to fix

The battery box is OK< the switch and wiring are somewhat hard to install as access is limited.

The cradle on top is OK< though it's held on with screws and plain nuts which have a habit of coming undone.

Now the bad bit - about a year ago I noticed a joint coming loose. No bother thinks me, they missed a bit with the glue.

The other week I noticed this again somewhere else and on further investigation I now have a flight box kit.

It seems that they have used a very brittle adhesive - maybe cyano - to glue the plywood together. It doesn't look like the laser cut edges were prepped prior to assembly and so the whole thing was very easy to pull apart.

This is very annoying as I didn't want to build one!

Furthermore as I've used it a bit, some of the joints were letting in oil.

So last night I completely dismantled the thing (which was super easy and did not damage the wood at all........) and have scraped the residue off the joints, sanded them back and am now re-building it with Epoxy

Hopefully the oil ingress won't be a problem

The upside is that having taken it apart I can now modify it to take a fuel bottle and tidy up the wiring.

angry

Edited By will -0 on 13/11/2019 11:13:15

Advert

For me the main drawback would be the model stand still needs me to be on my knees to work on the model. I did make a similar tool box 20 years ago but I decanted my fuel into 2x1 litre bottles which was more than enough for a day's flying.

I use a plastic Stanley tool box I bought from B&Q (£25?). It's in 2 parts that clip together. The bottom has wheels and I have my big 12v battery in there with connectors on the outside for my battery chargers - I suppose that replaces the 1 litre fuel bottles The top is a similar size with a tool tray on top and sufficient space underneath for charger, spare props etc.

I have a Flightmate (think that's the name) enamelled steel model stand which is quite heavy (and so stable) and allows me to work on the model whilst standing. It also serves in the workshop for both building and maintenance thus freeing up bench space. That was the best aeromodelling bargain I ever bought - £20 from the for Sale ads here a few years back. I love it.

Geoff