Capacity checker accuracy?

Keith Miles 2

I agree completely - the only accurate measure of capacity is to properly cycle a pack under an appropriate load and monitor it on test to determine what it can safely deliver. In practice though, in most sports applications I've found that the excess of power available is such that it isn't anything to really worry about and I prefer to determine the longevity of a pack in the air by having a comfortable flight and landing with power in the tank.

On rare occasions I'll push it a wee bit too far and land with the pack at a slightly lower indicated voltage that I'd ideally like. I use a timer with the more critical models, but tend not to use one routinely - I should probably change that.

I was far more organised and religious in the old NiCd and NiMh days, regularly cycling and monitoring the capacity of my flight packs, but we didnl;t have the surfeit of power available then and needed every mah we could get. Contrary to the popular perception though we actually were able to fly electric models successfully before Lipos were ever thought of,

Advert