Apps and Overlander

Zflyer

First of all this is NOT a rant about Overlander, I use and will continue to use this company’s products.

My moan concerns the Charge Tracker app which you can use for your battery charger.
Please explain why a simple program designed to aid me in my battery maintenance requires access to my camera, location, storage, and phone. (This is just one of many apps that adopt this position.)

Actually don’t I already know the answer and refuse to play. Hence app deleted.

I would be happy to buy this product to stop it having this access.

The same for cookies and privacy. When the EU declared a notice be shown on all websites the original option was a yes or no question and access was granted regardless of the answer. Now you have to accept or refer to the laughably called ‘Privacy Policy’ where you are subjected to reams of ‘legalise’, and even then no guarantee as the ‘third party’ caveat is sprinkled throughout. Most give up and accept. Makes you weep.

Couldn't agree more! Why does my local bus company's app (which tells me when the next bus will arrive) need access to my photos, etc?

I believe the latest versions of Android enable you to be much more selective about what apps are able to access, but with 5G on the horizon, now would seem to be a bad time to get a new 'phone!

And its not just apps! nearly every website you visit demands that you "accept" them sharing your data with all their marketing buddies, or accept reduced functionality! Why???

Some do provide a "reject all" option, but then keep asking the question every time you log on!

Come the revolution, these jerks need to be first against the wall!

angry

--

Pete

• Like 1

"Please explain why a simple program designed to aid me in my battery maintenance requires access to my camera, location, storage, and phone."

Because a lot of programmers don't want, or can't, or don't have time or energy, to engage with the process of determining how to remove the access demands from their app.

I would imagine the default option for most app dev kits when you start developing is "access everything".

• 1 year later...

I'm going to assume that the reason for access to camera function, photo library etc are understood after all this time. My Overlander RC6 charger packed in a couple of days ago with  controller failure and short err. Purchased the D100 V2 today, installed the app on 2 tablets and an android phone and the program for the pc.

The reason for the camera and photo library access is because the app needs to read the QR code if you create them for your various batteries, this saves you having to remember your preferred charge settings.

My only gripe is with the preset program settings on the PC, if you click on a program, in the name box where you would expect to be able to alter it after selecting edit - you can't do, it remains set as Program 1 etc. You can't delete or insert anything .

Edited by Steve Ashton