Round The Pole Tipo Bipe

Many years ago I managed to get RTP stuff for my son when he was a youngster. We had lots of fun with it and later I built him a free flight Tipo design of David Boddington. This was also lots of fun so when my grandson came along I thought we need to do the same for him. The recent post of Cliff of his SE5 got me thinking!

I started building a Tipo Bipe on Saturday and my son was given the task of doing the pole. I cut out all the parts and once built I covered with Tissue and added a small brushless motor and 2 servos for elevator and rudder. As I have to work I gave the plane to my son this morning as he lives in the same road as I do. He sent me some pictures this morning confirming that we did not waste our time.

t1.jpg t5.jpgt6.jpg

Advert

Until a recent house move I still had my Harry Butler catalogue and a RTP balsa model, probably from the 70's. I too used parts from my Scalextric such as the hand controller. Flight was not particularly impressive ! Presumably a RTP would come under the same heading as control line and not be subject to the recent regulations.

Julian, the secret to success with RTP seems to be going to geared motors. Fortunately the large numbers of small drones and electric helicopters mean that the parts are much more readily available.

Chris Freeman's approach of using a brushless motor and a motor trimmer is another way of being able to turn a large prop. With the availablity of small LiPo batteries, micro R/C etc, there is a lot to be said for his approach of having the entire powertrain in the model. It also means that you have a model, which with the addition of pitch and roll control, that you can use without the pole, once everyone is allowed out again.