C.A.P. Tiger Moth Kit inherited.

Hello,

A fellow club member cleaning out his shed whilst finding that extra time that the lockdown has afforded, came across an as yet non started C.A.P. kit of a DH82A Tiger Moth .

This kit seems to date back to the 60s and , surprisingly, the 2 sheet plan was in the box complete with, from what I can see, all necessary parts. Fellow member put this out in the club's Whats App as a build project for anybody that happens to be bored and I, not entirely in the right state of mind at the time, offered to take it off his hands. Needless to say, it's got a bit more complicated since then so, I had wondered if any experienced builder had ever come across this kit and whether he /she (of course) would kindly offer their views or ideas about their own experience of this model.

In other words, this is a cry for help. The orginal plans are as delicate as the Dead Sea Scrolls to unfold so I'm hoping the plan purchased from Sarik will be a more stable platform . Whether it is more detailed remains to be seen.

Anyway, all interest in the above would be most appreciated.

Regards,

Richard.

Advert

Hi Richard, looks like an interesting project, what size was the CAP one? IIRC most of the kits were a little on the well built side, but maybe that doesn't matter so much with a moth?

Would be fascinated to see the build, always interesting to open these time capsules and put them to the purposa that they were made for

From memory, there were two CAP Tiger Moth kits. One 57" span and one 70" span.

I have the 57" kit, which I picked up in person from their shop at Earlston, in 1976. Founder Jim Scott was no longer alive but the business was being very well run by his two sons.

44 years later, I'm still wondering about starting the build!
In my defence, I was unable to fly RC properly and confidently until about 7 or 8 years ago. 

Edited By brokenenglish on 20/04/2020 18:14:57

Hi Richard, I inherited a CAP kit of the Gloster Gladiator.

It also had old plans so I purchased new ones from Sarik as I had the reference number and it was the same plan.

I would assume as both kits are of the same era, the build method is the same. Namely; no instructions other than a few notes on the plan. Lazor cutting not very accurate, the ply wing joiner rib cut outs did note match the plan only discovered this after building the wing over the plan, had to cut a new ply joiner. There is also a lot of bloc balsa in the tail and nose that requires sanding to shape (a lot of sanding)! All I would say is measure, trail fit, sand to shape before gluing. I used an electric sander! The plan shows a single servo central mounted in the wing, using a rod system to drive the ailerons, I put the servos in the wing. I've finished build now for the covering, shouldn't be any issues with that....

One last thing. Work out where everything is going to go, fuel tank/battery and so on before you start building. It will be a lot easier fitting as access to the internals may be very restricted

Good luck.

Thanks to everyone so far for your interest.

This is the 70" version and, as you say Russ, there appears to be a lot of sanding to be done. I was wondering what servo's to use as there seem to be limited space. A hint here would be very useful. Thanks

I expect that the new plan from Sarik will be no more than a copy but not as fragile as the original but , at this moment in time it's, ' in the post'.

I.c. engine was obviously originally intended but our flying field has limited hours for i.c. so I'm toying with a leccy set up. Going to have to sit and ponder a while on this one.

Once again , your input much appreciated, guys

Regards,

Richard