Electric conversion setup for old Balsacraft Easy street

Advert

Hi Paul

The original Easy Street was designed for a 600-sized brushed motor, so you don't have to change the structure too much when you mount a smaller brushless motor. My Easy Street is 20 years old and currently running a 4-max PO-3541-1270 brushless outrunner, 2200mah 3s, 40amp ESC driving a 9x5 prop. It will take a larger prop but the 9x5 provides sufficient performance for me.

The main difficulty I found was routing the motor wires, which required some modification to the lower part of the motor mount. In doing this, I probably weakened it; following some aggressive outside loops, the motor mounting attachment to the fuselage began to crack. I'm currently rebuilding the nose area with a slight modification to the air intake/hatch, and reinforcing it with glass. I'll try to attach photos of the work-in-progress will show you the internal and external structure.

It's worth the effort; IMHO the original Easy Street is a superb design that flies really nicely, and reaches its full potential with a brushless/lipo setup.

Happy flying.

Simon

Hi Paul

The original Easy Street was designed for a 600-sized brushed motor, so you don't have to change the structure too much when you mount a smaller brushless motor. My Easy Street is 20 years old and currently running a 4-max PO-3541-1270 brushless outrunner, 2200mah 3s, 40amp ESC driving a 9x5 prop. It will take a larger prop but the 9x5 provides sufficient performance for me.

The main difficulty I found was routing the motor wires, which required some modification to the lower part of the motor mount. In doing this, I probably weakened it; following some aggressive outside loops, the motor mounting attachment to the fuselage began to crack. I'm currently rebuilding the nose area with a slight modification to the air intake/hatch, and reinforcing it with glass. I'll try to attach photos of the work-in-progress will show you the internal and external structure.

It's worth the effort; IMHO the original Easy Street is a superb design that flies really nicely, and reaches its full potential with a brushless/lipo setup.

Happy flying.

Simon

Hi Paul

Happy flying.

Simon

Hi Paul

First pic without the motor in place. You might be able to see the black marks from the old can motor's brushes, which shows how far back it extended. You can also see that I've modified the air intake; it's no longer part of the hatch and the central strut protects the motor's wires.

easy street 1.jpg

View from behind the motor mounting:

easy street 2.jpg

With the motor in place. You can see how much shorter it is compared with the old 600, and how much space needs to be made for the wires:

easy street 3.jpg

Yes - it's certainly worth adding additional cooling intakes and outakes when converting old can motor designs to brushless....I learned that the hard way in the early days. After converting my Easy Street, I replaced the Speed 600 in my Balsacraft Spitfire IX with a Tornado inrunner. The Spifire had lots of space around the power components but no provision for cooling airflow. This was OK with the Speed 600, but I soon cooked the Tornado....not a mistake you make twice. Fortunately the model was OK and it's still flying now...albeit not quite so pretty with intake holes in the static part of the spinner.