Next steps

Nick Williams

Hello everyone,

I can not believe it's been 8 years since I last visited this forum, well that's kids and life for you I suppose. During lockdown I got given a little 3ch foamy plane (nothing fancy at all) so I thought why not, spoke to my local farmer who agreed to let me fly in his field provided I was alone (couldn't argue with that) and off I went. I've basically been out with it every day the weather has permitted with a pocket full of 1s's and I'm officially hooked again! There is something so rewarding about flying a tidy simple figure of 8 with a few loops thrown in for fun, especially when I feel like I have taught myself. Now I am by no means an accomplished pilot, but I 100% want to be! I'm waiting on a phone call from a (not so) local club to me where I can hopefully join some of you for likeminded fun. However in the meantime I want/need a bigger model, something I have more authority over as this foamy doesn't mix well with wind (although its improved my reaction times), I'm looking for something around 1000-1500mm W/S, electric, but more importantly something I can learn and hopefully progress on. I've been looking at the Volantex TrainStar Epoch 747-6 V2. Reasons, its cheap, looks fairly tough and I think its something I can grow in to as my skills develop.Like I said, I'm no expert and would really appreciate some advice from the community, such as other models to look at etc. Thanks for reading an I look forward to chatting with some of you.

Nick

Advert

Wait till you have spoken to the local club.

They may have a club trainer that you can learn on.

The club instructor(s) may have a preferred model to teach with.

Similarly radio gear, batteries etc. Did your foamy come ready to fly with transmitter? When I learned (again, after a 40 year break) I bought the same brand of gear as the instructor to make buddying possible.