Propshaft extension

andy watson

I have just bought a propshaft extension from Fox (part #06535), and I am slightly confused by how to use it correctly. 

1) The actual extension piece (looks a bit like an aluminium cotton reel) has a smooth end and a grooved end.  Do I fit the smooth end flush against the grooved drive hub on the engine, and do I need something between (like a soft washer) to provide better grip?

2) The screw in extension shaft has an end shaped like a hex nut, with a threaded hole in the end.  Since I need to start this engine with an electric starter, do I need a special/non standard prop nut to go on the end?

Sorry if these are daft questions- it's my first build and it's giving me headaches!  If it's relevant the engine is an OS70FL.

Advert

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f81/andywatson3/propshaftextension.jpg

Sorry its a crappy picture, I have scanned it from their catalogue.  The picture actually shows 2- a longer and shorter version.  The silver cotton reel type item is made from aluminium (I think).  I end is smooth, the other has grooves like the driveshaft of the engine.  It slides over the existing propshaft with an oversized hole.  The black bit is a sort of reversed hollow bolt- smooth on the outside, but threaded inside.  The thread fits onto the threaded propshaft on the engine.  The washer is a standard prop washer, but again with an enlarged hole.  The holes are bigger to allow the "bolt" to hold them as the propshaft is now thicker.  I hope that makes sense.  The issue is whether I put the smooth end of the extension piece against the grooved part of the engine.  If it's aluminium maybe the engine will "bite" into it to create extra friction and ensure it doesn't slip, or should I put a rubber washer between them?The other problem is the engine recommends an electric starter, but this set up leaves me with just a hex bolt type protrusion at the front.  There is a threaded hole for a spinner, but the plane doesn't have a spinner.  I had planned to use a brass nut, but that has a female fitting too!  Actually the flat front is quite scale- should I resort to hand starting for artistic integrity?  Will I be able to if electric is recommended?  Or can I get another nut with a male screw fitting? 

Hi Andy

Yes, you put the smooth end of the extension against the engine driver. When done up tight it will bite in a bit to ensure it does not slip. Do NOT use a rubber washer between tham as it will almost certainly fail when the engiine is running.

Hand starting should be possible (use a chicken stick rather than your finger) but electric is much safer and quicker. With care it is possible to use a starter directly on a flat prop face but an appropriate spinner  makes it much easier as it will ensure the starter is directly in line with the prop shaft.