Lockdown buid 1, DH2 Airco

Djay

As I have been working from home since March and my temp office is in my modelling room I have been busy building various models.

One which is one of my all time favourites the DH2 Airco.

I downloaded the plan from the internet and found a short laser cut kit for the fuselage formers on ebay.

Span is 80 inch power is a RCV 90SP 4 stroke with 14x6 pusher prop.

1.jpg

Start with the fuse which is 1/64 ply

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

to be continued

Darryl

Advert

wing construction.

Top wing is one piece and the lower wings are 2 which attach either side of the fuse

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

lower wing bolt attach tubes with T nuts on the end and boom attach point

24.jpg

next is trial fit of it all.

Was not easy as it looks building these parts as the plan templates were not exactly true and so much detail had to be guessed at.

All going together

first some of the accessory parts made, aux fuel tank, seat , magazine holders, bellcranks, boom and strut holders.

25.jpg

Then the best part. Putting it all together for the first time.

26.jpg

27.jpg

The fun part was holding the booms together as it was so floppy without all the supporting struts and wires.

28.jpg

After a lot of fettling and working out how to attach the lower wings, the struts and fitment of the servos etc I finally got round to covering it with Oracover.

29.jpg

Caruthers the pilot is looking over his new machine and impatient to fly it.

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

Trying the cockpit for size

33.jpg

34.jpg

Next the rigging

I re-did the struts as the plan method of attaching them was rubbish plus I wanted the wings, struts, booms etc all removable, not 1 piece like the plan as at 80 inch span and length is rather large.

The booms have an inner tube which slides into the boom locator tube on the top and bottom wings then the boom slides over the tubes

I used about 30 meters of rigging wire, 2 top and 2 bottom from the booms to the top/bottom wings which hold the booms in place under tension and the rigging wires inbetween the boom struts and wing struts are non functional. The rigging which needs to be detached when splitting the fuse from the boom has M2 clevises, the non functional wires have small silver colour jewelery clasps hooking into small eye bolts.

The rudder and elevator have external rigging wires which pass through small pulley sheaves screwed to the inner struts to clear the prop.

35.jpg

36.jpg

next ready for its maiden

ready for its maiden.

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

As I do not know how to insert a video I cannot show the maiden.

It took a long time to lift of and the power was marginal with the nose dropping all the time on the take off run.

It limped into the air and when  I turned when there was a funny noise so I put it down safely.

The exhaust had come loose and was touching the prop.

I adjusted the tailplane incidence to lift the nose a touch and increased the upthrust of the engine and done a few other minor changes. The next week I tried again and it lifted off nicely though still underpowered, I did 2 flights of 2 circuits and when the power was pulled back it just landed itself so smoothly and I took it home safely

After a few more changes a bit more detailing was done, the wooden prop changed for an APC prop and today I did 3 really good flights with it, the prop increased the power no end. It is not fast but seeing it in the air it is fabulous to see.

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

Not the best pics but it shows the fuse half and the boom half.

Takes 5 minutes to rig at the field.

48.jpg

49.jpg

This was just one build during lock down.with others going on at the same time

Darryl

Edited By Djay on 02/10/2020 17:41:35

Terrific model, Darryl. Well done. If you look in my albums, I have detailed my scratch build of the dH2. Mine has fully functioning rigging and is therefore a nightmare to get to the flying field. I have managed to source a 4-blade prop, which I find adds a bit of realism. It still hasn't flown yet!