Mercury Tiger Moth RC Conversion Part 1

Cliff 1959

I've started a pre-winter build! It's a very old Mercury Tiger Moth free flight model which I'm converting to 3-channel electric rc, this video is part 1, it's not a blow-by-blow account this time so the progress moves along a bit quicker. I know I'm not the first person to do this but it's for a special reason.

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

Having watched part 1 and now part 2 I’m looking forward to the next instalment This has definitely inspired me kick start my own stalled build of a Tiger Moth conversation to 3 channel radio. Lockdown 2 combined with the onset of winter have also contributed to this. The weight saving lamination of the tail feathers is very clever and I’d not seen that before. I’d be very interested to know what size motor you are intending to use so I can get one on order. Thanks for the videos Cliff.

Posted by Lowandslow on 05/11/2020 20:09:43:

Having watched part 1 and now part 2 I’m looking forward to the next instalment This has definitely inspired me kick start my own stalled build of a Tiger Moth conversation to 3 channel radio. Lockdown 2 combined with the onset of winter have also contributed to this. The weight saving lamination of the tail feathers is very clever and I’d not seen that before. I’d be very interested to know what size motor you are intending to use so I can get one on order. Thanks for the videos Cliff.

Hi LowandSlow, great that you've been inspired, as it happens the the laminating was done more for fun and looks than weight saving, the motor I've earmarked is probably a bit big for the job and thus heavier, thereby not really needing to save weight at all!

I'm currently building the wings, I'll put a video up soon but I've changed the wing tip shape to more accurately reflect a Moth, these are also laminated.

20201105_231145[1].jpg

20201105_231548[1].jpg